The main goal that I set myself this month was to complete the Simply Serene Quilt that I started at Scrub Stitchin’.
All that I achieved then was to make the half square triangles, so I had a fair bit more to do this month.
I used a variety of plaids and related prints. Some of these have been in my stash since I first started quilting in the very early 2000s, others have been thrifted or gifted to me in scrap bags.
Having the design curtain made the process so much easier. After a bit of a fiddle, I had the lay out sorted.
Next. it was time to decide what to use for the setting triangles. Some versions I have seen have the cream, others one constant plaid. In the end, I decided to use a variety of the plaids.
Then, it was the tedious task of joining the blocks into rows and the rows all together. No, I wasn’t going to attempt the webbing method for this one. That's looking better.
Next, it was time to add the borders. I had plenty of the cream for the first one, but not enough of the red for the second one. A bit of a look in the stash revealed this russet brown that I had acquired somewhere along the way. It had obviously been an offcut from a backing, as it was double width with a seam in the middle. The border width was determined by the dividing the fabric left after cutting the binding strips by four. It worked out perfectly, with nothing left at all.
I was liking the way it looked and thought it would need a rather blokey quilting design. The one I used came with the software for Elly May, my quilting machine, and I think it suits it perfectly. Cowboy bits and bobs are not something I would usually add to a quilt, so it is a nice fun design to have a play with.
The backing was made from various offcuts of a wideback from Spotlight. The colour is a charcoal that is much darker than it is showing here. I have used it a few times before and I also had some that came from a destash. A great way to use them up. I still have yardage for future quilts.
This quilt will be another donation quilt. I hope the recipient likes it as much as I do.
Mick felt this one needed to have a photo shoot by the potting shed.
Before handing it back to me to fold up.
QUILT INFORMATION
Measurements -70" high x 50" wide
Pattern - Simply Serene by Pleasant Valley Creations. I made it a bit smaller than the original.
Fabrics - All from stash, much thrifted.
Quilting Design - Cowboy Essentials by QCT6
Batting - Cotton/Poly
Backing - Left over wideback from Spotlight and a destash
Thread - Glide - Warm Grey 4 on the front and Silver on the back.







No comments:
Post a Comment