Sunday 3 October 2021

Friday Night With Friends and More Camp Oven Cooking

Friday was the evening, arranged by Cheryll, to stitch with all the other girls.  For a change, I was quite productive.

It was a good opportunity to make a start on some Santa Sacks to send to Jan Mac.  
I have quite a supply of Christmas fabrics and ribbons, some of which have been sitting there for a while, so this is a great way to make use of them.

Over the last little while, my Janome sewing machine has been giving me some grief with tension and being a bit noisy. it was a bit worse on Friday night, so in the end, I have packed her away until I can have her serviced.  Hopefully, that will be in mid October, when things start to open up again.  
I decided that Mum's Elna could do with a bit of a work out.  I haven't used this machine very much, as Mum and Dad gave me my little Elna Stella shortly after Mum bought this machine.  It was a bit stiff to start with, but after it warmed up, it ran like a dream.  It's good to get the old girls out occasionally and give them a run.  My Stella will be next in line.

I ended up with five Santa Sacks.  The sizes varied according to what fabric pieces I had.  My plan is to fill a prepaid 5kg post pack with as many as will fit.  I thought this may fill it, but there is still loads of room, so more to make.  Not a problem, as I still have plenty of fabric and ribbon.
We've been having a bit more of a play with the camp oven. 

I was going to make some rock cakes, so why not make them in the twelve inch camp oven?  
A trivet would be good, but the one we have is one Mick made for the ten inch oven.  I know, there is an old cake cooling rack in a drawer in the kitchen.  Let's try that.  Made to measure.  Bonus!
Now having the twelve inch oven as well is very handy, as the bigger size if much better for some things.  Best of all, the smaller one nests nicely in the larger one for storage.
Using the heat beads has been great, as we have been able to cook in the shed, out of the rain that kept blowing across.
The mix fitted perfectly in the oven.
Half an hour later they were ready to eat.
I think you could say that is another success.

Next, to try some roast lamb for dinner last night.
Rolled leg of lamb, ready to go, with rosemary and garlic. No water or oil.
One hour in, starting to brown and time to add the veges.
Done, after two hours.  The veges were cooked through, but didn't brown, so maybe add some more coals on the lid half way through.  The juices in the bottom of the pan weren't burnt on and made beautiful gravy.
The meat was melt in the mouth and the gravy was delicious.  Yet another success.  

We are really enjoying playing with the camp ovens.  A fun thing to do while we can't actually go camping.  I have a couple of other ideas of things to make in the next few weeks.  Watch this space.

11 comments:

Cheryll said...

OOOhhh yummmO... my juices are running ATM...
Great idea with the rock cakes...I will remember that one for when we camp again too. Nice having your company at FNwF too...xox

Flickenstichlerin said...

That looks jummy, you are making me hungry. Busy friday night, you got a lot done.

Maria said...

So good to have your little Elna when needed.. Nice Santa Sacks they'll help put smiles on little faces...
Oh those rock cakes look good as dies the roast lamb,veg and gravy...

ButterZ said...

That roast looks beautiful. So yummy my mouth is watering

Gail said...

Always so busy! I think I may have to acquire a camp oven! So, what exactly are rock cakes?

Katie said...

OMG I'm drooling. Lamb is hard to come by here.

Susan said...

What would we do without a spare machine (or two???)
Your Santa sacks look great - I'm about to make something like that - but most of my pieces are smallish so might not produce too many
the camp oven sounds like fun - but I'll stick to my indoor one . . LOL

Fiona said...

Great work with the Santa Sacks.... they look great.
Camp oven cooking is looking good.... maybe you will be at the big Milmerran camp oven weekend next year... they just had it...
Hugz

Karen's Korner said...

Browned or not those veggies and meat look delicious as do the rock cakes. Nice work on the Santa sacks.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Well done on the santa sacks...you are cooking up a storm with the camp over, those rock cakes look very yummy.

Susie H said...

The stockings are really nice but the lamb has me drooling. Looks so yummy with the rosemary & garlic.