Sunday 4 April 2021

My Goals for April

If there is one thing I learnt last month, it was that when you have a month that will generally be busy, don't aim too high with your stitching goals.  Having said that, despite April being another busy month, Scrub Stitchin' is happening next weekend, so there will be some dedicated stitching time involved there. Autumn has beautiful, stable weather and accordingly, there are so many events that take place, so we like to be out and about seeing and doing things.  Anyway, back to my goals.


My One Monthly Goal this month is to complete my Vintage Linens Quilt.
It came back from my quilting fairy at the end of March, just before we were going away again.  I have the binding all prepared, ready to add, so this is very achievable.  I am  so looking forward to having it finished.

Click on the link above to see what other goals have been set for the month.  

2.  WOOFA CHALLENGE    
My WOOFA Challenge project this month is once again the Scrub Stitchin' Bag.  
This is starting to sound like a cracked record.  I WILL finish it this month.

Cheryll hosts this challenge over at her blog.  It is a great motivator.

3. CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE
I will continue to make progress with my little stitcheries, but am not going to commit to any set number of blocks. This is a little challenge run by Lou.
4.  ONE PROJECT A MONTH
See above.  There will be something to report this month.

5. BLUE JOCELYN PROUST QUILT

This is my newest project to work on.  I have even made a start already this month.
I have progressed from a pile of pretty fabrics to this:
I now have a nicely cut kit to take to Scrub Stitchin'.
I bought the tub in Coles last week.  I had seen one on someone's blog, but I can't remember whose, and thought they looked good.  To my delight, they were half price at just five dollars.  The size is perfect for a project box.  The strips I have cut were made to measure for the top tray.  All ready to get stitching.

By the way, did you notice that you can see my cutting mat.  Yes, I have excavated my cutting mat and sewing table.  It makes the world of difference to my motivation.
Before I cut the whole kit I thought I'd better test one block.  It worked out just fine.  I wanted a simple block that showcased the fabrics, as some of the prints are a largish scale.  There will be five blocks of each fabric.  They will finish at 12 inches.

Don't ask me what the pattern is, as I saw a photo of a quilt somewhere in that big wide web and didn't keep a record of where it was or save a link.  I just figured out the pattern myself.  I was initially going to not use the flying geese method around the edges, but as the fabric is directional it was going to use quite a bit extra of the print fabric using the stitch and flip method to make the outside triangles.  By using the four at a time flying geese method there is no wastage at all and the four triangles end up with the correct orientation.  I can live with the extra seams in the white border.

I'm not going to set any specific goal for this quilt, but do hope to make a dent in the blocks while at Scrub Stitchin'.  

Here's hoping I make good progress on all those goals.
Now, for the non stitching goals.  These will be the usual suspects.

1.  READ A BOOK

I have a book waiting in the wings that I am keen to read.  I found it at the church fete last month, which was a great score.

2.  TRY A NEW RECIPE

As usual, no idea what this will be, but it is always fun to try something new.

3.  FRIDAY FUN DAY

I'm sure we will do something, as there is so much happening at this time of year and the weather is ideal for getting out and about.

4.  HAVE A WEEKEND AWAY IN THE CARAVAN

I know this will happen.  Baradine - here we come.

My goals this month have been simplified, so I do hope to report back at the end of the month with lots of boxes ticked.

11 comments:

Maria said...

Some lovely projects set for this month... I’m sure you’ll achieve many.
Love the blue native fabrics and the block is perfect to display them.....
Have a fab time at Scrub Stitching.....

ButterZ said...

Wow. That’s a great planned list. Have fun at scrub stitching and can’t wait to see those blocks sewn together

Jenny said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your Vintage Linens quilt finished. It shouldn't take too long with just the binding to add. You're very well organized for your stitching retreat, such a good idea to get the blocks all cut out ready to stitch. And to make a test block too, good thinking. Enjoy your sewing time away.

Fiona said...

that block is perfect for the fabrics and great to have it all ready for your weekend....
Have a great time....
Hugz

simplestitches said...

maybe that's what I need to do, set some monthly goals...
love that fabric kit you have created, beautiful fabric! and the container to put it in is a great idea...

Chookyblue...... said...

Can't wait for scrub stitchin'........Im sure you will have your quilt and bag finished otherwise you can do that at while their.......Looking forward to seeing this quilt come together......

jude's page said...

Lots of fun to work on, look forward to reading about your scrub stitching

kiwikid said...

Woo hoo!! Your quilt block is wonderful , I will be your cheer squad at Scrub Stitchin' to get those blocks made 😁😁

Edith said...

Oh my, your Vintage Linens Quilt is so pretty.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Exciting pretty projects and another busy month ahead. Wishing you good luck with your goals.

dq said...

It looks like you've got yourself a fine list. I look forward to seeing that quilt bound and opened up so I can see it all.