My One Monthly Goal for May was to complete my Anni Downs Christmas Quilt, which made it to a flimsy last month.
I didn't even look at it until Sunday last week. It was a bleak and cold day, so perfect for finally making a start on getting it finished.
I was lucky enough to find a batting off cut that I was able to join to create the perfect size and I found that the quilt was just the right width for a single width of fabric for the backing. In my stash I found a red ticking that worked well with the fabrics on the front. I did some very simple quilting and added the binding. As I had made the quilt larger than the pattern, there wasn't enough fabric for the binding, but by adding a couple of small lengths from the other reds used on the front was able to make it all the way around.
Look how much binding I had left over. I think it all worked out very economically, fabric wise.
It then sat until Thursday for me to finally stitched down the binding. Nothing like doing my usual leave it to the last minute job. It was a gorgeous autumn day, so I sat out in the sunshine in the back yard and finished it off.
I'm really happy with how it has turned out. There are a few scraps left over from the kit, so with one of Anni's free Christmas stitcheries I should be able to make a matching cushion.......hopefully in time for Christmas.
My WOOFA Challenge goal was to work on my little sewing bag from Girls Day in the Country in 2014. I didn't seem to stipulate how much I wished to achieve this month. I think I was keeping my options open.
I didn't even look at it until yesterday. I thought I had better do something this month, so would cut out the fabrics to make the pocket, bag, lining and handles.
Well, I got that done and kept going. I'd do a step, and then just work on the next, until by bed time it was completed! I didn't expect that.
I did cheat by using machine applique for the stitchery to the pocket, rather than needle turn, but it still looks fine.
As predicted, it didn't take all that much effort to finish it and I am so pleased that it is done. Now to decide which UFO to work on next.
So, two goals met and two finishes for One Project a Month.
Thanks to Patty at Elm Street Quilts, Cheryll at Gone Stitching and Kris at Tagalong Teddies for keeping me inspired.