Thursday 29 January 2015

Natures Journey Stitch Along

Three years ago I signed up for a Stitch Along that Chookyblue was organising to make Anni Down’s Some Kind of Wonderful quilt.  To my delight and some surprise, I finished it.  It was the most detailed quilt I have made and something I would never have achieved without the commitment and encouragement whip cracking of being part of the group.

In 2013 I joined again, this time to make several smaller projects.  I completed a few and then reluctantly pulled out, as life got in the way.  Last year life got in the way for Chooky, so there was no Stitch Along.

This year there is a new Stitch Along with a new pattern – Nature’s Journey by Anni Downs.  It is perfect, as the pattern has only just been released, so no one has had a chance to already have made it. Once again, it is a quilt I would never attempt without being  a part of this group.  Thanks for the encouragement Chooky.

The plan is to start in February and finish in September.  It is a lot of work, but hopefully achievable. 

I was lucky enough to have a sneak peek at the original in Anni’s shop the other day. 

January 2015 028

The colours are lovely and vibrant.

January 2015 029

I had planned to use some Denyse Schmidt fabrics, but after seeing Anni’s I do love her colours, and best of all, I can make it completely from my stash, right down to the backing and binding.

January 2015 039

I think there may nearly be enough there.  

January 2015 040

Colours similar to Anni it is.

I have cut the background blues for the main panel and appliqué blocks and am ready to start stitching February’s blocks.  Looking forward to the process.

6 comments:

loulee said...

Looking forward to your progress on this one. I do hope the February block is quick one, you'll be on the back foot from the get go!

Susan said...

Very organised....and great to be using your stash.

Susan said...

Very organised....and great to be using your stash.

Katie said...

Love the colors! :-)

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a beautiful quilt, I know you'll have a lovely time working on it. I'll enjoy watching it grow. I like your fabric choices, I agree that Annis colours are beautiful and there's a satisfaction from making things entirely from your own stash.

Chookyblue...... said...

I love what you have chosen for NJ........