Sunday, 22 July 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge for July

Just a quick post this time with my completed blocks for the Squared Away Sampler.  

This month's block is called "Round the Corner" and was designed by Nancy Page in 1920.  They came together very easily.  I can't believe we are so far through the year already.  It will be fun putting them all together into a top.

I have linked up with So Scrappy over here.  Thanks girls for this fun project.

Saturday, 21 July 2018

Splendid Sampler II - Rose and Dot

This week's block was a nice easy one - Rose and Dot by Lori Kennedy.

I'm back to machine blanket stitch, although if I had more time this would have been a great block to needle turn applique.

Now to wait for next week's surprise.

You can see some other creations over here.

Sunday, 15 July 2018

It Was a Bit Fresh This Morning

The weather forecasters have been telling us that this morning was to be the coldest for the year so far. It was minus 4 degrees C when I went to bed at 10 o'clock last night, so I thought they may be on the right track. We even decided to add an extra quilt on the bed for good measure.

When I poked my nose out from under the covers at 7 o'clock this morning it was minus 6.4 degrees C.  Brrrrr.   I turned the heater on and, being Sunday, hopped back under the quilts.

When I finally emerged at half past eight I briefly stuck my nose out the door to see what it was like.

No wonder it was cold.  Normally you can see Mount Panorama.  Not today, just a wall of white. 

A bit after ten the fog had lifted a little so I went out to have a better look.

You can always tell when we have had a really cold morning by the frost in the willow tree down the road.  This morning it was especially beautiful.  Still no sign of Mount Panorama.

Our street tree was looking rather sparkly as the sun started to peek through.

Look at the thickness of the frost on its branches.  

One thing you do know when you get a morning like this is that you will end up with a glorious day when the fog finally clears.  It is now nearly noon and just look at that.  Mount Panorama has revealed herself.  The temperature has now warmed to a balmy 5 degrees C.  I may even get the washing dry.

Thursday, 12 July 2018

Splendid Sampler II - Point Taken

Another fun block this week.  I got stuck straight in and selected fabric and then decided to make it tonight as well.  The points of the star are meant to be missing, hence the name of the block "Point Taken".

It is fun using the 30s fabrics. I've been wanting to sneak in the orange and this block seemed perfect.

I can't get to my cutting table just at the moment, so this was a good small project to prepare on the dining table.

I'm linking up over here.  Pop across and check out all the very different versions.

Friday, 6 July 2018

Splendid Samper II - Balance

I'm happy to report that I have already completed this week's block, even though it was only released last night.

It was a fairly quick one compared with last week's.  I had to have a bit of a scout around for a grey fabric that would work well with the 30s theme.    I think the pink stripes add to the circus feel.  When I went to do the applique I noticed that the stripes were showing through the grey so I added some stabiliser to the back.  It still shows a little, but I can live with it.

This week I reverted back to my favourite blanket stitch on the machine.  Much easier and neater for me.

Here are the first four blocks together.  I think they look good. Already plenty of variety.  I'm looking forward to seeing this grow.

I've linked up over here if you want to see some other versions.  There are some beauties and so much variety.