Monday, 20 June 2016

Modern Half Square Triangle Sampler - Block 11 - Starshine & Block 12 - Rockpool

It was a bleak, wet, winter's day here yesterday, so time to go into the sewing room and get out the blue and white fabrics to make the next block for the Modern HST Sampler.

This one used my favourite method so far, being making eight blocks at a time.  

I found the gingham in a box during the week and it fits into the mix nicely, adding a bit more variety to the blocks.

I was up to date once more, even if it is only for a day.

This morning the next block was released, so, while I was on a roll I selected the fabrics and cut out the squares before I went to work.

Now the block is finished and I'm up to date once again. You have to be happy with that.

This marks the half way point in the quilt, so time to put all the blocks together to see how they look. I must say that my points are getting better as we go along.  Not so much reverse stitching now.

It's a rather limited colour palette, but I'm only using what I have here already.  I have lots more blues, but they aren't in this tone. I'm happy enough with how it is progressing.

I'm intrigued as to how detailed the blocks will be over the next few months.

Thanks Alyce for organising us all during the year.

Sunday, 19 June 2016

More Orange Finishes

I have been busy making some more items to go with the coasters I made a couple of weeks ago.

Firstly, I made this little tray.

It is a hybrid of a few tutorials that I had seen.  I started with two nine inch squares, ironing on some fine interfacing to the lining.  Then I used some scraps of very thick iron on interfacing, almost like felt, and cut a base five inches square and the sides five by two and a half inches and ironed them onto the orange fabric.  This is where I stuffed up made life difficult for myself, by only allowing a partial side opening for turning it out.  I ended up having one whole side open before I could effectively turn it right side out.  I will know for next time.  A quick over and over stitch on the top of the corners and job done.

The purpose of the tray......

To hold my coasters.

The next project was some place mats.  Nice and simple.  Let the fabric do the talking.

I wanted the finished size to be 18 inches by 12 inches, so cut the orange 12 1/2 " x 6 1/2".  Then I cut the charcoal 1 1/2" wide by 12 1/2" long.  The only problem was that the charcoal fabric was longer than my orange. Huh?  I'd cut the orange with my 12 1/2 " x 6 1/2" ruler.   Doh!  Second stuff up.  My ruler is actually only 12" long.  There's a trap for young players.  No worries.  Just trim back the charcoal and keep going.  Thank goodness it wasn't a pattern where the finished dimensions mattered.

I'm rather pleased with how they turned out.

I didn't want a puffy look, so was able to use some thin bamboo batting scraps I had in a box and I didn't bind them, but rather turned them through and top stitched the edges before quilting.

A simple ditch stitch in the seams and then a diamond cross hatch in the centre.  All rather simple and just the look I was after.

There is still one more piece to make in this set, then I'll show where they are going.

Firstly, I have to design make something up for the table runner.  I'll keep you posted.

Sunday, 5 June 2016

Yet Another Finish

I think Chooky will have to have a party more often.

I've just finished another project on the "To Do" list.

A friend told me she didn't want to see me going to Spotty for quite some time, when she saw the size of my stash, but I did sneak in to buy these fabrics, as I had a special project to make, and didn't have suitable fabrics at home.

These coasters were made using this clever little tutorial.  So simple.

They may be a finish, but they do have a couple of accessories still to go with them........Back to the sewing room.

Saturday, 4 June 2016

On a Roll

After a rather totally non productive few months on the sewing front I've actually achieved something this week.

The timing of the Chookshed Birthday Party has been perfect.  I can't believe it, but I had nothing at all on this weekend and Mick is working.  The weather is bleak, to say the least, so what better way to spend the day than in the sewing room.

At the beginning of the year I started the Modern HST Sampler QAL as hosted by Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts.  Blocks are released fortnightly with a total of  twenty four in the quilt. I made the first three blocks and then we went on holidays and moved house.  End of story.

Ten blocks have now been released.  I managed to complete another three on Thursday and the remaining four this afternoon.

I'm up to date....until the next block is released on Monday.  It's good to be back on track.

Now to decide what to work on next.

Party, Party Party!

I'm going to a party this weekend.

Chookyblue is celebrating the 4th Birthday of her Chookshed this weekend and lots of girls are going to party along.

Click over here to see who else is joining in.

I have lots planned to sew.  Let's see how much I achieve.