Wednesday 27 March 2024

Finally Finished

 It all started back in 2013 when Chooky and I went shopping at Spotlight.  You can read about it here and here.  The plan was to each make a Twister quilt from the fabrics, as we both had the ruler.  However, life got in the way, then one or other, or both of us couldn’t locate our pile of fabric. 

Anyway, in early 2022 we both knew where our fabrics were, so decided to make the quilt tops at Scrub Stitchin’ that year.

You can read about that here and here.

The centre of the quilt top was as far as I got on that retreat.  As I was getting ready for retirement and our three months on the road it was put away until another day.

I finally added the borders in February 2023 and once again it was put away.  This time the reason was that it is rather large and I wasn’t game to quilt it myself, as I had only quilted my first cot quilt on Monique the month before.

I am on another big push this year to finally complete several of my UFOs and the Twister quilt was high on that list.  It is rather big, but I am now confident enough to tackle it and I really like the pantograph I used.  It is a nice flowing design. I finished the quilting  a week and a half ago and attached the binding by machine.  At least I had previously prepared the binding, all ready to go.

Over the last week I have gradually hand stitched down the binding, finally completing it today at my patchwork group. We have had some lovely weather, so it was nice to sit and stitch some of it sitting in the sun on the back verandah.

I’m so pleased to have finally completed this quilt.  It has only taken ten and a half years from when the fabric was purchased.  You can’t rush these things. Now onto the next UFO.

16 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

and pleasing it is....very pretty fabrics and a colorful finish!

Ali Honey said...

It was worth waiting for. The Twister turned out bright and bold. Great finish!

PAM said...

Well done Janice, its a beautiful quilt. Anything that good is worth waiting for lol

Susan said...

and it's all a bit of relief isn't it?? It looks great - I love that it is in rows and the narrow blue border. Ten years isn't all that bad - bet you beat Chooky!

Fiona said...

Great finish, the border really brings out the pinwheels...
Hugz

Raewyn said...

Well done Janice, it was well worth the wait, I love the fabrics you chose all those years ago - they have matured well. I hope you're bringing it too SS?

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well done to you on a great finish....sometimes these things can't be rushed lol!

marina said...

what a beautiful finish. I love the little aqua border that peeps out and frames the centre.

Maria said...

A beautiful finish... You can't rush some things....

Susan Smith said...

Well done & so glad someone else has "old" UFOs too. Have a lovely Easter, take care & hugs.

ButterZ said...

Welldone Janice. That’s a great finish.

Rose Marie said...

Bravo! It was worth the wait. Now, I wonder if Chooky finished hers?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, your Twister is a fantastic finish with lots of nice elements like that quilting and the pretty back fabric. Well Done! Meanwhile, how nice to have these groups you and Mick are involved with...past posts.

loulee said...

Looks fantastic, definitely worth the wait.

Chookyblue...... said...

well they had to mature??????????
look wonderful and so pleased it is finished.......

dq said...

Just look at what you and Chooky get yourselves into together! It is lovely!!