Friday 8 March 2024

The First Week of March

March is the official start of autumn here, but the weather, other than one day, has definitely not been autumnal, with every day for the next week forecast to be over 30 C.  There were storms all around our area yesterday, with lots of thunder, but we didn't get any rain.  No rain is forecast for the next week either.

We have had some lovely sunsets.

I have been playing in my sewing room.  I mentioned that it needs a bit of a tidy up before I can get productive.  

Well, I made a start, cleaning, not jut tidying, my sewing table, cutting table and the little shelf above it. 

Not only that, we finally hung my new items on the minis wall, being Sunbonnet Sue, the vintage felt picture of a girl stitching and a silly picture I found at a markets.  

I may know things, but most of them are of no consequence.

Mind you, it is not as tidy now and the rest of the room still needs lots of work.

Once that was done I started to contemplate my panel quilt.  Despite being a juvenile design, it would need to be a sizable quilt as the pane is the full width of fabric.  I decided to just use the simple pattern that I used last month.

Firstly, I did a little drawing to work on colours.  

For that I needed to get out my pretty tin.

This is inside.

And inside the pretty cardboard box.

These are my colouring pencils from school.  Some date back to kindergarten, all duly marked with my initials so they wouldn't get lost.  Not today's throw away society.  They were well used, and yes, I still used some of those tiny stubs for this project.  One thing about pencils is that they don’t dry up or go off.  The pencil at the top of the photo was precious to me, as it was the perfect colour for skin when colouring in.

I digress....

Anyway, after a couple of days of fiddling, I now have a quilt top and the binding prepared.  Monique still needs to be excavated before I can quilt it.

While stitching the quilt I pieced my RSC split nine patches as leaders and enders.

On another note, while working on the quilt I noticed that the steam wasn't working on my iron.  Blast!  Then, I realised that not only that, there was next to no heat coming out of the iron either. Double blast!!  Time to go shopping.  I had received a gift voucher for Christmas that I could use for it.  Perfect.  Once an iron had been purchased it was time to get working again........but when using steam, the iron was spitting all the time.  Not good.  Time to be returned to the store.

I started to see what other options there were for irons, as most stores all sold the same models, and discovered that Spotlight had a sale and Oliso irons were reduced.  Whenever they come on sale there are never any in stock at our local branch, but this time there were.  Bonus! 

So, now I am the proud owner of a pretty pink iron that matches my sewing room and it works beautifully. 

I even tidied up and cleaned the dresser behind my ironing board so that I could take a photo to share.

While I was going, I set up my second display cabinet of thimbles.  I have have one for years and about a year ago found an identical one.  It has taken me until now to fill it, with thimbles that have been tucked away in all sorts of odd places.  

Some are rather beautiful silver ones, even down to tiny child sized ones.  It's good to have them on display.  The tiny house at the bottom is a thimble holder.

Also, about a year ago, I came across an antique half doll with beautiful features and mohair hair for next to nothing.  She has just been laying around until now.  

She is now sitting upright in a vase in the china cabinet.  I don't think I will make her into a doll.

So what next?

The March fish block pattern released, so it is time to start playing with colours. I have already cut more background fabrics for the rainbow version as well as the batiks.  I need to get three month's blocks prepped for the second quilt.  It will keep me amused for a while.

I still have to make a start on my One Monthly Goal, but that will be after I complete the panel quilt.

But first……start sorting out the rest of the mess in my sewing room so I can use Monique.

Yes, 15 minutes has been spent each day.

13 comments:

Maria said...

It’s good see that I’m not the only one that has a messy sewing room.
It’s always nice to have it all clean for awhile.
I do love what you did with the cute Teddy panel. The quilt will be loved by a little one.
The pink iron is a perfect match for your room.
Happy sewing 🧵.

dq said...

I loved seeing your sewing room. It is huge compared to mine! Cleaning it up feels great, doesn't it.

Your panel quilt turned out great. I got mine out and am scratching my head a little on what to do.

loulee said...

So many lovely things to see in that room of yours. Trinkets and dodads, quilts and stitchings. It is a lovely room.
The teddy bear quilt is lovely, you came up with the perfect solution.
I don't have my school pencils, but I do like to plan quilts and colouring in is a big help.

Susan Smith said...

What a great start to March. Love your pink iron, as that is my favourite colour. As for pencils, I'll tell the tale of my Derwents when we meet next time, (long story). I did love seeing all your goodies & trinkets & remember our joint love of Depression glass. Ooh, the panel quilt is absolutely gorgeous. Look forward to seeing what else you get up to in March. 38deg here too for the next three days & we've had 10ml of rain in February and none since then. Talk soon, take care and hugs.

Jennifer said...

Your daily 15 minutes has been spent well! Love your room, it has so much to admire in it. Great job on the teddy bear quilt too.

Karen's Korner said...

Great job on the panel and a fanastic effort on getting your sewing room into order. Now to keep it so. It is amazing what is uncovered during a clean up.

Jenny said...

My sewing room is much smaller than yours so much more cluttered! I love the way you have extended your panel, very clever indeed. I would never have thought of that.

cityquilter grace said...

wow.color me pea green with envy over your roomy and bright sewing space. i once had my own room eons ago but not in recent years living in smaller digs. so many lovelies on display and i can see why you are uber inspired sewing in such a space...

Fiona said...

Lovely way to add to the teddy panel, looks good....
Hugz

Susan said...

Janice, that is a lot to cover...Love all those thimbles....how amazing you have pencils left from primary school . . .

Clever way to sort that panel too.
you certainly have a lot of little treasures in your room.

Jenny said...

What a lovely space Janis. For the amount that's produced in there a little mess is evidence. The panel project is very cute too. I think you will be searching for a new skin coloured pencil soon though. May be I should go now and clean up my sewing room

kiwikid said...

Well done on the tidy up! Something my room really needs too!! Your thimble collection looks great in the little cabinets. So good to have your treasures around you.

Chookyblue...... said...

the thimbles look great in those little displays......fancy finding a second one.........