Monday 13 January 2020

My Sewing Room - Part 7

We are getting near the end of my very detailed sewing room tour.


This is what you now see as you enter my sewing room, as opposed to the pile of boxes and crap that greeted you previously.

The chest of drawers was bought when we moved out of town about 25 years ago and were used to store plastics, baking dishes and the likes in our kitchen.  They turned out to be ideal for a cutting station.  The mat hangs over the back by about half an inch.

The three caddies hold, from the back, scraps, selvedges and rubbish.


The drawers are just the right size to hold shoe boxes that you buy in a set of six at The Reject Shop, or alternatively, fill with miscellaneous stuff. Fabric fits really well too. You can fit two shoe boxes in each drawer.

The floor mat is plaited from woollen fabric scraps.  Mum made a few of these.  We have two here.


Sitting on the table just behind the drawers are my rulers.  The smaller ones in a stationery organiser and the larger ones in an envelope stand.

There is also a drawer in one of the tables, where some instructions and other bits and bobs are kept.


This shows the tables better.

The one with the sewing machine on it was one we bought at a garage sale and Dad restored for us.  The chair has the same story.  It was painted gloss white.  He did a lovely job, even using a dentist's drill to get the paint out of the carving on the backrest.  The little chest of drawers next to the chair were an auction find.  They are actually loose leaf binders.  For my birthday one year, Dad turned them into drawers, by adding sides and backs.  They are really handy there.  I can sit notepads, a pen cup and markers within easy reach, but not on the sewing table.

I made the sewing machine cover some years ago.

The other table was our kitchen table at our previous home.  It was painted white with damaged yellow laminex on top when we bought it.  It is a good practical table, and I can store stuff under it.

The little blue chest of drawers are Mum's sewing table drawers.  They still have all her bits and bobs intact.  When they got married, Mum wanted some drawers for under her sewing table (which is now our dining table - I'll have to tell you about it one day), so she made them herself.  She had also attended woodworking classes at Tech back in the days when she was a Tech dressmaking teacher, so she had the skills.  

The flat tub on top of Mum's drawers hold my leader and ender project.  My light box fits in nicely beside the drawers.

As you can see, I can have "Stuff" on this table and you don't see it as you enter the room.  It is hidden behind the rulers.  Very handy.


Now, just to keep it real, around the other side of the tables, near the comfy chair, you can see I still have plenty of "stuff" stashed in boxes and tubs.  A lot of it is magazines, which need culling.  There are also very old projects, either started, or in many cases, not even started.  This still has to be dealt with, but at least it is tidy and not taking over the room.

Now, let's do a quick recap.  Pop back over here to see what it was like "Before".






So there you have it.  My happy place.

It ended up pretty much how I envisioned it.  It is pretty, with lots of vintage items and things that hold a special meaning for me.  It is light filled, but still has a warmth to it.  I so enjoy being in there now.

I hope you enjoyed tagging along.

7 comments:

Maria said...

You now have an amazing sewing space... Hope to see lots of lovely creating happening there.....

ButterZ said...

A great space to enjoy your craft. Relax then get busy

Michelle Ridgway said...

I have enjoyed seeing your sewing room makeover. I do envy your space and have loved all the stories and history of your treasured pieces...enjoy your new space xx

loulee said...

It is a wonderful space. Thank you for sharing.

kiwikid said...

Great tour! You have a beautiful place for creating now, I would be tempted to sit in that comfy looking chair and read magazines 😁.

Cheryll said...

It was a wonderful transformation... congrats...xox

Raewyn said...

I've just spent the morning (well, not the whole morning!) catching up on your sewing room posts - which I knew were there but I wanted to have the time to devote to reading them properly! Lovely to see your space and the wee explanations that come with each item. As well as being nice to look at, it's also very functional and oh so tidy! I'm sure you will have many hours of creative happiness in it.