Thursday 2 January 2020

My January Stitching Goals Check In

It's the start of the year and I have a new blade in my rotary cutter, a new needle in my machine and it has had a good old dust, so I'm ready and rearing to go with my January goals.......there are a few.


Firstly, there is my One Monthly Goal - I know that I won't get the opportunity to get much stitching done in the last week of the month, so am trying to keep this one relatively simple.


I plan on making two Splendid Sampler 2 blocks and I think I have made a decision on the setting.  About half the blocks have a white background and the other half have coloured.  Some blocks are a tad undersize, so I need to have something where I can do some tweaking without it being too noticeable.  I will put a one inch border around each block.  White around the coloured blocks and a soft 30s green around the white blocks.  My aim is to select and source that green fabric, so I can start working on sashings next month.


The colour for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for January has been announced.  It is green. 


This year I don't plan on making a quilt, rather two cushions. They will both be 18 inches square.  One will be the pineapple block, which I have never made before, with a white contrast.  The other will be drunkard path circles on a darker background.  I have made large drunkard's path blocks, but never small.  Conveniently, I have the templates, which were a giveaway with a magazine subscription many years ago.

I will have to go and hunt out some fabric for these.


Working on, or finishing a UFO is a new challenge this year.  I could never commit to finishing a UFO each month.  I know it wouldn't happen, but at least making a bit of progress is a good start.


I wasn't sure what I would work on, but when I went digging in a tub I found this forlorn orphan Santa block.  This was my first ever attempt at foundation paper piecing from a very long time ago, maybe 15 years.  Sadly, the top left corner dips down more than the seam allowance, and to do lots of unpicking was all too hard at the time.  I'm pretty sure, if I go looking, I'll find a bit of that background fabric, or something very similar to add onto the corner.  Goodness knows, Nothing ever gets thrown away, so it may just be there.  I will turn it into something.  Maybe a hanger, maybe a potholder (which I think was the initial intention), who knows.

This will also meet two other little goals.  I WILL finish it, so it will be able to be reported to Kris for One Project a Month and Lou and I have decided to make a Christmas decoration each month.  Nothing like killing three birds with one stone.

Of course, I will work on my Leader and Ender Black and White Quilt as I stitch away.

Wish me luck.

I'll be linking up with Elm Street Quilts and So Scrappy.  Pop over and see what the others get up to.

12 comments:

loulee said...

Phew, that sounds like a lot.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Janice you do such beautiful work ,good luck with your stitching goals xx

Jenny said...

Looks like you have some interesting projects lined up, foundation piecing, leader and ender, and Christmas things too. Sounds great!

Fiona said...

lovely idea for the setting for SS..... and some lovely ideas coming together...
Hugz

kiwikid said...

I am sure you will meet your goals, looking forward to seeing what you do.

Maria said...

Good luk with all your goals for 2020..

ButterZ said...

Easy fix for the Xmas tree block. Trim it off square, add a border, appliqué a star on top of the tree. This will hide the missing point/top of tree.

Cheryll said...

You always need a plan... it may not always work out but at least STarTinG is a gOOd thing. Fingers crossed for you this month...xox

Chantal said...

You got quite a work load in front of you. Good luck with that. ;^)

Raewyn said...

I look forward to seeing the progress on your RSC blocks as the year progresses. And you've already done your WOOFA, woot woot! Have fun with your SS blocks :-)

Patty said...

Fun blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Health is Wealth said...


Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Girl's Cotton Panty or Underwear (Multicolour, 6-12 Months) Set of 5 Panties Fancy and Designer
Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Girl's Cotton Panty or Underwear (Multicolour, 6-12 Months) Set of 5 Panties Fancy and Designer
Apna Showroom Baby Girl's Cotton Frock Combo (Multicolour, 1 Year) Designer - Fancy - Attractive
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5 with desent look
Hair Clutcher Combo Party Wear for Women and Girls Apna Showroom (Multicolour) - Set of 12 Pieces
Apna Showroom Women's Combo of Plastic Hair Clutcher Clip (Multicolour) - Pack of 12 Pieces
Stainless Steel Water Bottle for Office School and Gym 800 ml | Multipurpose | Apna_Showroomwith desent Look