Tuesday 28 January 2020

January's Goals Met

Last year I found that setting little goals for each month worked well, so we're into it again this year.

I had set myself quite a few goals for January and I am happy to report that they have all been met.


My One Monthly Goal for January was to complete two Splendid Sampler 2 blocks and select and purchase the setting fabric.


These were the blocks I wished to work on.


The weather here at the beginning of the month was stinking hot, so sitting in the air conditioning, watching the cricket was the best place to be.  I not only glue basted and stitched the hexies together, I even did the applique by hand.  Now, that is rather unheard of for me.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, and especially that I could centre those bunnies.


I found yet another relatively simple block that I had missed making, so that was my next one.  I think it is rather pretty.  The centre and blue fabrics are new additions to my stash.  They work well together.


I was then on the hunt for the perfect green for my skinny borders.  I had this spot in my stash, which is just the colour I wanted, so looked into some Kona greens to see which would be the best match.


I ended up with Kona Old Green, which is the closest I could get and a pretty good match to the green my Grandma painted on her kitchen dresser in the early 1930s.  It should do the trick.

Goal met!


You can read back here the details of January's RSC stitching in green.  Now it is time to start thinking about next month's blocks.

   

My Santa Mini Quilt met both Kris' One Project a Month and was a finish for Cheryll's WOOFA Challenge.  Not only that, it was a Christmas project for my little stitch along with Lou.


Of course, I also started the Blockheads 3 stitch along.  The first two blocks are done, with the next one out Thursday our time.  So far, so good.

On the non-sewing front I have also set myself a few little monthly goals.  I'm not sure how they will go, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Each month I would like to:
1.  Read at least one book;
2.  Go motorcycling at least once;
3.  Head off for a weekend; and
4.  Try a new recipe.

Yes, I read a book, albeit a very quick, easy read.


We went motorcycling on "Sophia" the Moto Guzzi one afternoon with the Panorama Motorcycle Club to the Royal Hotel and Lyndhurst.  The weather gods were looking down on us, as it wasn't excessively hot and was one of the rare days earlier this month where we saw the sky, without dust or smoke.

Mick was able to head off for an over nighter one weekend with the same group of people, on "Snubby" the silver sidecar, to the little town of Quandialla.  They had a great time.  Sadly, I couldn't join him, as my Mum had a couple of days in hospital.  (She is now back home and on the mend.)

I haven't tried a new recipe yet, but there are still a couple of days left in the month.  I WILL try something.

I'm happy with the start to the year and just hope I can keep up with it all.  Mind you, the idea is to have fun, so if things slide at times, so be it.

You can pop over to Elm Street Quilts to see what other goals have been met. Thanks Patty for inspiring us.

9 comments:

loulee said...

Your blocks look great, good on you for the applique by hand.
I'm all prepped and ready for my next christmas ornament.
I like your idea for 'other'goals too. I might look at joining in on that.
Let us know what your new recipe is, and how it turns out.

Jenny said...

Congratulations on meeting your goals, it's always a great feeling of achievement.
Always nice to try new recipes, as we are going Keto I've been trying a lot of new recipes. Some more successful than others, but still worth a try.

kiwikid said...

Well done on meeting your goals Janice, the blocks are lovely. Sometimes a deadline is just what we need to keep things ticking along. A bike outing once a month will be wonderful.

Fiona said...

Lovely blocks and well done in meeting your goals.... I like your other lifestyle ones too... good idea...
Hugz

Maria said...

Well done achieving your sewing January goals. The blocks are very pretty and good on you doing the hexie by hand.
Pleased Mums on the mend .. nice biking outing and I'm sure you'll be trying the new recipe by Friday.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Yay well done for meeting your OMG! Oh how I love that block with the little bunnies in the centre. They're super cute.

Jenny said...

Youv'e been so busy already j. I think I will have to sign up to OPAM at least I did something then when you had a goal set. Love the cute fabrics in those blocks.

Patty said...

Looks great! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Raewyn said...

Your SS blocks are lovely - well done on getting them done and meeting your goal. Lovely fabric for your borders :-) I like the idea of having some non-quilting goals as well - I sort of do that but they usually involve house work-y type of things!!