Friday 13 September 2024

Spring in the Scrub - Part 1

THURSDAY

Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending another retreat at Camp Cypress at Baradine.  This one was organised by Chooky and Deb from The Crafters Cottage in Coonabarabran, with 21 ladies attending.  About half of them were ones who have attended “Scrub Stitchin”.

I wasn’t intending to go, but you can blame Mick, Chooky and tablecloths.  Yes, tablecloths.  You see, while on a Zoom sewing morning, Chooky asked if I could duck into town and get her some particular tablecloths, which I did.  The original plan was to give them to one of her family members who would be down here soon.  However, on the following morning Mick asked me if there were still places available at the retreat, and if so, why don’t I deliver them in person.  It didn’t take very much to twist my arm, so I started to get some projects prepared to take and made a swap gift.  Far too many projects, as is always the case, but you need choices, don’t you.

On Thursday morning I headed north.  Yep, just me.  Mick stayed home this time.  The early spring season is so lovely and the countryside is looking a picture.  I just couldn’t take many photos, seeing as I was driving.

Dunedoo is always a good spot to stop and stretch the legs and get coffee and cake.  That sign is so true.  LOL

I went for a quick walk up and down the street and was delighted to see a new mural on the side of one of the pubs.  Jamieson Leeson is the women’s silver medalist in Boccia BC3 at the Paralympics and hails from tiny little Dunedoo.  

It took me rather longer than expected to travel the rest of the way to Coonabarabran, as there was a car accident blocking the road in the middle of nowhere.  Initially, we thought we may be held up for an hour or so, but in the end were told it would be several hours before the road reopened and we had to take a detour, over a rather rough dirt road.  Not to worry, I ended up seeing some new to me countryside.

After a light lunch in Coonabarabran (let’s face it I didn’t need much after that cake) and a bit of retail therapy at The Crafter’s Cottage I reached Baradine in the early afternoon.

A few of us got the room all set up ready to go.  It did look good with all the wildflowers that Chooky had picked and dried and Brenda had arranged.  It never looked this tidy again.

It is surprising that Deb had anything left in her shop in town. There was a great variety to look at and shop from.  Yes, maybe I did shop again.

The day was completed by dinner at the Bowling Club.  Yummy cutlets.

FRIDAY

Friday was the official start of the retreat, so time to get my sewing station set up.  We each had loads of room to spread out.

There were lots of lovelies in our goodies bags.

At morning tea time we celebrated Brenda’s recent milestone birthday.

So, what did I manage to sew on Saturday?  I made 12 of these blocks for the three yard quilt that is my challenge project for the month and joined them into a flimsy, but no photo at that stage.

I also started piecing some large half square triangles for two baby quilts using left overs from fat quarters from a previous baby quilt.  These were to be my June Challenge project, which didn’t happen at the time.

Dinner on Friday night was at the pub and was rather tasty.  We returned to our sewing after dinner.  And that about wraps up Friday.

I’ll do a separate post for Saturday.

8 comments:

kiwikid said...

Looks like a good time is to be had Janice, lovely to see Brenda, happy birthday to her!! Great milestone. The flowers look wonderful.

Jennifer said...

Looks like a fun weekend! Brenda is going great guns with that milestone, for sure....and I have been to Crafter's Cottage, it's a really nice shop.

Maria said...

That was a nice surprise for Chooky to have you deliver the table clothes in person.
Looks like you did well working on your projects.
The tables looked lovely with the wildflowers on.

Jenny said...

What fun you had. How far did you have to travel to get there? It's a shame you were held up on the road for a while, but even more sad for the people involved in the accident.

Susan said...

Similar but different - a whole table would be good.....If I get back I want to go to the Bowling Club & get lamb cutlets!
Brenda is a wonder!!! I didn't realise she was that old.

Fiona said...

Great you could go....
Hugz

Lin said...

Lots of fun I am sure. xx

loulee said...

Lovely to travel along with you. Great to see the place and your projects.