Monday 8 January 2024

The First Week of the New Year

The start of a new year always seems to bring on some refreshed enthusiasm for stitching goals as well as other plans.  This year has been no different.
My goal for January is to make the Scrub Stitchin’ Bag.  I have made a start, but haven’t progressed very far as yet.  As I said earlier, I am going to use needle turn appliqué, which I am not comfortable with.  I need to do a little practice piece first.

So, what do you do?  Some practice, or take an avoidance option?  Anyone who knows me knows that I will take the avoidance option.  There were plenty of options available to me.
The other main start that I have undertaken this January is to join in on the Just 2 Charm Packs Quilt Along.  The task for 2 January was to cut out the quilt.  Being me, I decided to use a slightly different piecing method. The pattern has the block pieced in rows, but I wanted to make units, which I could then join together as a nine patch using the webbing method.  Therefore, my cutting was a little different to the pattern.
The next process isn’t listed until 16 January and is to piece ten of the twenty blocks.  Well, maybe I got carried away (avoidance) and have already pieced those ten.  The next ten will take a bit more planning, as I don’t want to have duplicates of the first ten, which were put together somewhat randomly.  They aren’t due intil the end of the month, so plenty of time.
We had a couple of Chookshed Stitchers Zoom sessions this week, during which I had finished the stitched saying on the Scrub Stitchin’ Bag.  There weren’t many on at this stage, but we did end up with sixteen on the screen later in the day.
I wanted something else, nice and easy, to work on while chatting away.  Another Spike Granny Square was the result.
That done, what else could I do as avoidance?  Why not the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks?  This month in the colour green.  It didn’t take long to whip them up.

Now what?
The Laundry Basket Quilts Spring Mystery needed the light mauve hexy flower appliquéd onto each of the four larger sections of the quilt.  The pieced hexies have been waiting for a few months.  That task is now done, despite not being on the radar for January.  This quilt needs lots of stems and leaves to be appliquéd next.  That will NOT be needle turn, but my trusty machine blanket stitch. Quite a bit of prep is required.

I think I am starting to run out of avoidance options……well, no, I can think of more, but I really should put my big girl pants on and play with my needle turn appliqué.  I’m sure once I have a go I will wonder what the heck I was worried about.  

Wish me luck.

11 comments:

loulee said...

Well your avoidance tactics have achieved a lot for the first week of the month. I have to say when it pops up on my list, I think I'll use Kiwi Sues tactic and raw edge the applique. Hers looks great.

Jo said...

Just try a circle or a heart on a scrap. A few minutes at a time.

dq said...

I saw the two charm packs QAL and am so tempted. Interestingly, I chose the same quilt pattern you did. Your colors are gorgeous! I don't have enough charm packs but I do know how to cut squares.

Maria said...

Like you needle turn wasn’t on my radar but now after doing the four borders of the laundry basket quilt I find relaxing.
You did get a good start on many other projects for the start of the month.

Susan Smith said...

Wish we were closer & we could sit in the sun & get to grips with raw edge applique together as it is not my forte either. I've cut the middle of my Two Charms pack, but not much more yet due to an ongoing log splitter saga. Also making my list for Chookshed Challenge & found so much I should finish & must try and blog today. Not raining this morning so far & boy did we see some waterlogged places yesterday, as we had an errand to run. Looking forward to seeing these crafty bits of yours grow. Talk soon, take care & hugs.

kiwikid said...

Avoidance made you get lots done Janice! Good luck with the applique, I am sure you will be fine.

Karen's Korner said...

Great avoidance projects. Good luck with the needleturn......raw edge applique an option???????

Narelle said...

You've been very productive with your 'avoidance' projects. All looking lovely.

Susie H said...

While playing the "avoidance game" you sure managed to accomplish a lot! Cheers to a good start to 2024!

Raewyn said...

haha I know the feeling well -but you were very productive in your procrastination!

Chookyblue...... said...

good to see you started the bag........been great having lots of zoom this month......no study and the heat has made it possible......your doing great......