Tuesday 2 January 2024

My Goals For January

Here we are, at the start of a shiny New Year, complete with all the enthusiasm to get lots done and join in on everything.  I certainly have a lot I wish to achieve this month.  Let’s see how I go.
Firstly, I need to confirm that I did complete my jigsaw puzzle yesterday, which I am very pleased about, as I was using my cutting mat as a jigsaw mat and I want my cutting mat back to use.
My goals each month will be partly determined by the number drawn for the Chookshed Stitchers 2024 Challenge.  
The number this month is 6, which is the Scrub Stitchin’ Bag that we received at Baradine last year.  This worked out rather well, as quite a few of us have listed that project at number 6 and it also means that it will hopefully be completed to take along to Scrub Stitchin’ in April.

While I was pleased to have this as the first project, I suddenly wondered where the kit actually was.  Oops.  Fortunately, it was in only the third place I looked for it.  Those who know me well, are aware that I only do machine blanket stitch applique.  Well, I have decided that this will be a good project to try a little bit of needle turn.  It is time I had another go at it.

Now that I know what I need to do there, I can look at my other goals for the month.

My goal will be the Scrub Stitchin’ Bag. I did have another idea, but it will now be in the background and hopefully, I can at least get a little done on that project as well.

The colour this month is green.  I intend to make two blocks for the split nine patch.  A very simple make.

This has been planned for a little while. When Susan from Granny Smith’s Quilting visited late last year she gifted me half of a layer cake of Bonnie and Camille’s Vintage Modern range, being the equivalent of two charm packs.  She proposed that we both join in with the quilt along.  The idea is that you can make any of the quilts in the book.  
I have chosen one called “Betty”, which is fairly simple, but should look really effective with the fabrics.  
I have added white and a patterned grey that was lurking in a bottom drawer for the background, sashing and border.  The plan is that we cut it out on 2 January, and then work on the next stages each two weeks, with a big reveal of the quilts in the middle of March.  It should be fun and very doable.

This worked so well for me last year, so I intend to keep at it.

Thanks to all the ladies who take the trouble to make these challenges possible.

Other than the Scrub Stitchin’ Bag, this is what I hope to do:
  • Work on a donation project
  • Use Monique
  • Do some knitting or crochet - probably work on the Spiked Granny Rug
  • Work on a UFO or WIP - just not sure what as yet
  • Complete something - hopefully the Scrub Stitchin’ Bag

NON STITCHING GOALS
These remain much the same as usual:
  • Read a book
  • Try a new recipe
  • Go away with the caravan - very unlikely, due to busy school holiday time
  • Have a fun day out
In addition to these, I want to get our home office under control again.

That little lot should keep me out of trouble.  I’ll report back at the end of the month with progress.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

All that sounds like you are well planned!

Karen's Korner said...

The perfect puzzle for a quilter. You certainly whizzed through it. Nice choice of fabrics for "Betty". I will be interested to see how you go with needleturn. I like you do all my sewing by machine.

loulee said...

I'm sure you will achieve a lots if not all of your goals. You are good at keeping them.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful puzzle, I am sure you will meet your goals!

Maria said...

Yes Lou knows you well as you are very good at keeping up with your goals.
Will enjoy the progress.

Chookyblue...... said...

Goodluck.......

Anne-Marie said...

You always have the best lists. I like that there are non-sewing things too. Always a good reminder to do other things as well. The Betty is going to look great! I made one last summer.

Sharm said...

The puzzle has turned out really well! Will you put it up in your sewing room? Love all the goals - quite the list to work towards but I think your 15 mins each day def helps! Love the look of Betsy!! Can't wait to see the progress

Narelle said...

I have that similar problem of finding projects. I maybe should start looking now for some of them :)

cityquilter grace said...

seems like a short list for you janice...no doubt lots more will be accomplished!