Friday 12 January 2024

First Finish For the Year

I’m happy to report my first finish of the year, which ticks off the box for the Chookshed Stitchers Challenge and my One Monthly Goal.

This is such a cute bag. It will be perfect for taking my bits and bobs to stitching when I crochet a block or two.

Having taken the inspiration from Sue, I also quilted the sides to add more structure, using my favourite masking tape markings.

The fabric is so darned cute.  It wasn’t until I started that I discovered what beautiful fabrics were included in the kit.

Being quilted, the bag doesn’t gather quite as well, but it stands up nicely when opened.

The back and side view.  Did I say I love the fabrics?

The eagle eyed may notice that I didn’t end up using needle turn appliqué.  I did work on a practice piece, but I think that this was not the best project to start out on, what with those ears being under a quarter of an inch with really tight curves and the bunny tail being about a quarter of an inch.  I was not enjoying the process at all, and did not want to mess up this project.  Therefore, I returned to what I know and enjoy.  I may try needle turn at some stage in the future, but on something rather simpler.

Anyway, I really love the bag and can’t wait to use it and take it to Scrub Stitchin’ in April.  Gosh, that will be here before we know it.

As a bonus, there was a little strip of quilted fabric left over from the side panels. It was too pretty to throw out, so I added some of the linings and fabric to the back and ran a quick zig zag around the edges and have a bookmark for my diary.  A bit rough and ready, but it will do the job.


17 comments:

loulee said...

What a great finish.

Maria said...

Your bag is gorgeous and yes such pretty fabric.
The bookmark is a nice little bonus.
You did pick a hard piece for the needle turn…

kiwikid said...

Congratulations Janice!! Your bag looks fantastic, I like the quilted sides and back, the fabrics are beautiful aren't they!! Great idea to make a bookmark with the left over piece.

dq said...

After looking at yours and Raewyn's I am in love with the fabric as well. I had better take a closer look at what is in my kit since I only pulled out the main piece and applique' bits.
I think your needle turn bunny looked great! You must be pretty particular. Don't look too close at mine.

I think I will follow suit and put batting in mine. It is nearly ready to cut out.

I am doing a midmonth linky party as per the request of Jenny. I would love for you to link up your post. I am off to add the linky to my blog now.

Congratulations!

Laura said...

Congrats! The bag looks super cute! :)

Susan Smith said...

I love your bag & well done. Cute bookmark also. Wish I was going to Scrub Stitching, but no places left, so we'll catch again some other time. Take care & hugs.

cityquilter grace said...

nice finish....the quilting really kicks it up a notch...

Karen's Korner said...

Congratulations on your gorgeous finish.

Jenny said...

Your little bag looks great. There's quite a bit of work involved and its turned out beautifully.

Jo said...

Very nice

Lianne makes stuff said...

Your bag looks lovely Janice well done

Jo said...

Doesn’t matter about the needle turn. The blanket stitch works great. I too like the quilted look. It’s a great finish.

Narelle said...

Lovely finish Janice x
I've never seen the masking tape trick ... will remember it for next time, thanks.

Susan said...

Well done on your finish and good use of the leftovers.

Raewyn said...

Well done on your finish, Janice. I wish I'd thought to pad the sides of mine too - I think it makes it seem a little more durable. Applique is applique and the buttonhole finish is great!!!! Cute little bookmark - good idea.

Anne-Marie said...

So cute!

Chookyblue...... said...

oh the bag looks great............