Thursday 24 January 2019

More Splendid Sampler 2 Blocks and a New Toy

Late last week I made another block, "Adventure Abounds", which was constructed using foundation paper piecing.  As before, I watched a tutorial, just to refresh my memory on the technique.  


It was fiddly, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

One thing that I have often noticed in tutorials is the use of two very important tools.  

The first is a post card or similar to use to get a nice fold on the pattern before cutting the seam allowance down.  I have a bookmark from a quilt show that works perfectly.

The second is an "Add a Quarter" ruler.  Seeing as there are quite a lot of foundation paper pieced blocks in Splendid Sampler 2 I decided to treat myself to both the 6 inch and 12 inch rulers. They came in either yellow or pink, so of course I had to order the pink ones.


I bought them through Ozquilts and their service was prompt and the rulers were well packaged.  They arrived yesterday and now I am itching to have a play.  Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to work on this week's three FPP blocks, but they are first on the list.


I did, however, get one of this week's blocks completed, "Dutch Treat", another cute block.  I had a small amount of the vintage mint ric rac left after I made the bird block some months ago.  Now there is only about four inches left, so hopefully I can incorporate that somewhere in the quilt as well.

I'm linking up over at The Splendid Sampler blog.  Now to wait for this week's blocks and see how many I get done.

10 comments:

Susan said...

very clever use of your ric rac...can't wait to see were 4" will go.

Tracy said...

The blocks are looking good Janice.

Jenny said...

I'm with you, and would choose pink over yellow any day. Mind you, blue would be my number one colour choice, if it was available.

Fiona said...

Great blocks, I like the ruler - mine is yellow so if we ever sew together we will not get mixed up....

Hugz

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

nice work on the blocks and such a neat idea on with the rick rack!!
and I had to have pink rulers too--though I just have the 6" size and I got it a few years back--but do love it on paper piecing projects--
luv, di

Michelle Ridgway said...

Great blocks. I am applauding loudly for your foundation piecing....I am a bit hopeless at it. Ohhh pretty rulers! Dutch Treat is sweet too xx

Pink Rose said...

Hi Janice two beautiful blocks,you do such beautiful work my friend,well done and love the pink rulers,hope you have a wonderful day xx

Maria said...

Well done on the Foundation pieced blocks, they look great. anf Dutch Treat is lovely too, as are the three blocks on your previous post...

Jenny said...

Love the dutch treat block J. The paper piecing has worked well too.

loulee said...

Your Dutch treat block is lovely and your foundation piecing looks good too.
Isn't the internet great? We can teach ourselves and refresh our memories in moments.