Tuesday 2 February 2021

Our Non Stitching Goals for January

As usual, I had a few non stitching goals in January as well, as I set out here.

Here is how we went:

1. READ A BOOK

I smashed this one.  I read four!
Firstly, I decided to read the final Maigret book, so that I can get them packed away to pass on to someone else.  They are a quick little light hearted read.
Next, I came across Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby at a garage sale.  I had read about it, so was keen to see what it was like.  It was intriguing, rather than gripping and I found the ending a little unsatisfactory.  I then read some reviews and it appears that I'm not the only one who felt that way.  Mick has just started reading it, so I will be keen to hear his thoughts once he has finished.
Then, wouldn't you know it, I came across another Maigret book in an op shop, also as a vintage Penguin, so of course it had to come home.  It didn't take long to read either.
Now I have my little collection ready to pass on.
The final book I read was "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper, the author of "The Dry".  I have read "The Dry" twice, but we are yet to see the movie.  I found this book in an op shop when we were in Orange on Friday.  I was rather happy to find it, as it is one I was keen to read. After we returned home from our drive, we both sat out on the back verandah and read a book from cover to cover in one sitting.  I loved this book.  She is such a great story teller.  Mick hasn't got to it as yet, but I know he will also love it.  Now I have to find her other books.  Yes, I could buy them new or go to the library, but we enjoy the hunt.

2.    TRY A NEW RECIPE

I smashed this one too.  I don't have any photos to share, but tried several new recipes.  My cousin gave us a nice marinated lamb recipe, which we tried on Australia Day, when we had the neighbours over for a barbie in the evening. Fiona from Bubz Rugz sent me a recipe for Ratatouille and Halloumi Bake, which was also delicious.  I have decided to start with Weight Watchers again, as quite a few of the kilos I lost have found me again - maybe COVID baking has something to do with that - and I have tried a few of their recipes, some will make it into our everyday rotation, while others won't.  It has all been a bit of fun.

3.    FRIDAY FUNDAY

Yes, we had our day out to Orange.  We never know if this will happen or not, or what it may end up being, but I can say that we did enjoy our little outing in January.

4.    MOTORCYCLE RIDE

We didn't really expect this to take place, as we don't particularly enjoy riding in the heat, so we are not surprised that the bikes stayed in the shed.

5.    WEEKEND AWAY IN THE CARAVAN

No, this didn't happen either, but we didn't expect that it would, what with school holidays and the COVID situation during the month.

So, a couple of failures, but plenty of wins.  
We may not have had time on the bikes or with the caravan, but we did go out to Oberon Dam so that Mick could take the kayak out for a spin with the new motor and pretend to try to catch a fish.  No, he didn't catch any, just took the fishing rod for a ride around the dam.
We were surprised when an actual yacht rounded a headland of the dam and parked for a fish and swim.  There was also a little trimaran which had pedal power as well as a sail.  Rather ingenious.
Mick likes taking the kayak out to this dam, as there are lots of interesting rocks and bays.  The water level is still really low, despite the drought having pretty much broken in the area.  It is still at only 32.3% of capacity.  I suppose, as Oberon is very high in the Central Tablelands there isn't a great deal of area for water to run off from that is higher.

While Mick cruised around I was going to stitch.  However, I also took a book out and ended up sitting in the shade reading.  It was a rather relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

January is usually a nice and leisurely month and this year was no exception.  We did enjoy ourselves.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Nothing nicer than doing what you love together. Reading cooking, exploring, boating, all good fun.

Jenny said...

Good to see you guys out and about.The dam looks good

kiwikid said...

Sounds like you had a great month Janice.

Cheryll said...

January set the benchmark perhaps... keep taking us along with you both...xox

jude's page said...

I love that Mick took the fishing rod out for ride around the dam!