Tuesday 5 January 2021

My January Goals

I previously did a post on my overall hopes and wishes for the coming year, but now is the time to set my actual goals for the month of January.  This has worked really well for me over the last couple of years, so I hope to be able to continue.

I had a big fail on this for the last couple of months, so this time I'm going to ensure it is something achievable.
I have got a bit behind with Block Heads 3, so this month my One Monthly Goal is to make five blocks.  It would be nice if I can make more than that, but it would be a bonus.

2.    BLOCK HEADS 3
 
Obviously, this is the same as my OMG.

Cheryll has expanded the format on this challenge this year, to not only include UFOs but any project, kit, pattern or publication that has been sitting in the wings waiting for their time to shine.  Goodness knows, I have plenty of those.

My choice this month was going to be a new project, but I actually ended up pulling out another UFO.
This was the project from our first Scrub Stitchin' retreat in 2018.  I worked on a quilt for our caravan, so didn't really have time to work on this.  However, I did make a start.  I covered 5 EPP papers!

I have started work on this on New Years Day, when I joined in with Chooky's Zoom Get Together, so have made a little progress.  I do hope to do some more - at least finishing the stitchery.

I have a new start.  Rhonda Dort is conducting a class to make the above quilt from vintage linens.
I have accumulated some doyleys and laundered them. (This is just the top of the pile.) So now I need to start the quilt and actually cut into them.  That will be the hard bit.  I won't set a goal for how much I wish to achieve, just to make a start.

5. CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE
Lou and I are going to continue to work on something for Christmas each month.  It sounds like a few more will be joining in too.
This month I have the huge task of completing my little Santa decoration that I started last month.  Yes, I have found the pattern, just where I had filed it in a "safe place".

6.    ONE PROJECT A MONTH

Kris from Tagalong Teddies will be opening up this little challenge again later in the month, so I hope to have a finish, even if it is just my Christmas decoration.

7.    HAND WORK

Something I think I will add into the mix this year is to have some hand work on the go all the time.  This is not my favourite form of sewing, but is so handy for sitting and stitching with others.  I don't expect any great progress on anything, but every little bit helps.

My Scrub Stitchin' Bag fits into this category, so I'll take that as a win.
Now for my non-stitching goals.

These will remain much the same as for last year. 

1.  READ A BOOK

 Any book.  Just a book

2.    TRY A NEW RECIPE

I'm sure I'll find something.

3.    FRIDAY FUN DAY

We will continue to try and have a Friday of doing "Something" fun, even if it is just small.

4.    MOTORCYCLE RIDE

I'm not sure if this will happen, as we don't like riding in the heat all that much, but we'll see how we go.

5.    WEEKEND AWAY IN THE CARAVAN

This is very unlikely to take place this month, as it is school holidays and the COVID situation does not encourage travel at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how I go with all of these at the end of the month check in.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the idea of the vintage linen project, so will be watching your progress with interest. Are the doilies etc family ones, or perhaps picked up at OP shops? I have about a dozen crocheted doilies made by Robin's grandmother and would like to do something with them too, still thinking about this.

Fiona said...

Be brave with cutting your linens! Lovely goals.... I did have a giggle that you had a start with the project of a few hexagons...
Have you had Halloumi bake? It is a favourite of ours here...
Hugz

Cheryll said...

I wish you the best of luck with all your challenges...

Karen's Korner said...

Pretty doilies. I remember when I was much younger making them for my dressing table. From memory they were called Duchess sets????? You have lots of lovely projects to keep you busy. Enjoy.

kiwikid said...

Lots of wonderful projects to work on Janice, I am sure you will achieve well.

loulee said...

I'm sure as always you will have many successes.
Santa looks like an easy finish and that bag looks beautiful.
Have fun.

Chookyblue...... said...

Good to see your sewing bag progressing......
It's amazing how much sewing you can get done while zooming..... I need to prep a bit more...