Saturday 2 March 2019

Decisions, Decisions


It is once again the start of the month (where did the last one go?), so I have to make a decision as to what to work on for my One Monthly Goal for March.

It was rather tempting to make another table runner, as the last ones were great fun - have a year of table runners, but no, there are probably other projects I could work on.

I want to make sure that I have at least one project finished each month for One Project a Month (OPAM) with Kris, as I've been somewhat lax over the last couple of years.

There has been no work done on any UFOs this year, and I still want to get them out of the way and at the same time, not create any additional ones.  That is becoming a harder task, as they now nearly all need hand stitching.

Of course, Splendid Sampler 2 is progressing, as is the Plus Quilt for Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I'm still waiting to find out the colour for March, but that should be an easy project once again.

In the end, working on a UFO won out to be my One Monthly Goal for March.  


This is probably twelve or thirteen years old.  I was in a little patchwork group pre blogging and we attended a workshop at a delightful quilt shop in the village of Millthorpe.  (The shop is long gone.)  There was a small quilt hanging on the wall which I fell in love with.  The centre panel and vine border are pre-printed.  I didn't follow any more of the pattern, intending to make it much larger and scrappier than the sample.  This is a s far as I got.  It currently measures 36 inches square.  I wasn't very confident with Flying Geese at the time, so I came to a stand still.  When I look at it now, it is perfectly all right, a couple of points may be lost, but I can live with that.

Now I have to work out how I will proceed from here.  I have decided to make it suitable for a single bed, rather than a square quilt. It will just be made up on the fly.

My goal this month is to add a narrow border top and bottom and then add a row of six inch churn dash blocks top and bottom, so I have to make twelve blocks.  That should keep me busy.

You should see the current state of my sewing room as a result of all this indecision.


The fabrics for the medallion quilt have been set aside in a couple of boxes for all that time.  It will be good to get this finished and merge them into the rest of the stash.  The box of neutrals will work in with it.  Yes, that is my ironing basket and other junk on the floor at the moment.  I'll show you the contents of that little dark red box one day - it is rather special.


I've been pulling fabric for the next round of Splendid Sampler 2 blocks, and haven't tidied up as yet.  


I also hunted out my box of makings for baby bibs.  I was surprised to see a couple already completed and a couple more that just need snaps attached.  There are a few ready to just have bias binding and more fabrics cut to the rough size, ready to progress.  

The church fete is on in a couple of weeks, so it would be nice to be able to take a few along for the craft stall.  I still have loads of fabric suitable to make them, so it will be good to use some up.  That will also mean that I have a few completed projects for OPAM.

I think that little lot will keep me amused for a while.

Now to go and try and sort out that mess so that I can make a start on something.

I'm linking up over at Elm Street Quilts.  Go and check what the other ladies are planning on doing this month.

4 comments:

Fiona said...

OH, I do like the look of the medallion quilt and great that it is out and going to be worked on... the colours look great. Love the bibs, I made a few similar shape a couple of years ago and they look so nice.

I am always amazed at how much mess is made just trying to get even one block sorted!

Hugz

Maria said...

LOL your sewing space looks like my Cave....
Sew good you have the Medallion Quilt out and will be working on it . Will be a beautiful Quilt with the borders you are planning...
Very sweet bibs for the fete.
You will be very busy this month.

Patty said...

Such a pretty quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and good luck with your project!

loulee said...

At least you've made it into your room! I haven't lifted scissors, needle or even a hook since Wednesday.
Have fun with you projects, it will be interesting to see where the UFO takes you.