Monday 16 January 2012

Vege Update and Charging Station

I’ve been a bit of a slack blogger lately and have a few bits and bobs to catch up on.

Firstly, the frost did zap the veges rather well.  However, there is still a little bit of green growth underneath, so with a bit of luck, they may come back a bit.

January 2012 004

Now onto the fun stuff.

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing in Pinterest (what a great way to waste time) for organising ideas when I came across a charging station for all those electrical gadgets we just must have. (Although we have less than many.)

Now I’m definitely not organised, and I should spend more time “doing” rather than looking for inspiration.  Anyhow, back to the story, we have a double power point above the kitchen bench that is used for charging gadgets and all the leads live in a big tangle in a big bowl in the cupboard below.  I had once seen an idea of keeping leads in a big biscuit barrel and even have a big canister to use for that purpose (when I get organised) – I digress.

Anyway, there were some really clever ideas for charging stations and I was drawn to a couple of simple ones, one of which was a ribbon box and the other was a shoe box covered in pretty paper and with big eyelets in it.  I thought “I can do that!” and went shopping for a power board with surge protector.  Next stop was the $2 shop to get some pretty paper, where I changed my mind and bought another pretty box instead.  It was great that I had the power board with me, as I was able to get one just the right size without having to guess.

Next, we went low tech.  Mick got his wad punches and punched four holes in the front of the box for the connections and three big holes in the back of the box, one for the power cord and two extra for ventilation. No eyelets, but that doesn’t matter one way or the other.  Some quick little tags to label the holes at the front and Ta Da!  One cute tidy charging station rather than a tangle.

January 2012 006

Another idea I saw on Pinterest was using a roll top bread box.  Now I may just be on the look out for one for the future, rather than a cardboard box, but it will do for the time being.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Hope you vegies come back okay.
Good idea for the cord etc. Looks great.

Cardygirl said...

What a great idea...looks good too. The veges may recover...fingers crossed!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

And I bet you'll find that roll top bread box at the next swap meet! ;-)
Hugs
Jenny
xx

Bec said...

A great idea for those messy cords, we seem to accumulate a heap especially near the computer....

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Janice wish I had the bench space :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Janice wish I had the bench space :)