Friday, 25 September 2026

Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Betty Block for September

Earlier this week I finally sat down at the sewing machine for the first time this month.

The first thing I worked on was this month’s block for Betty’s group quilt.  It came together very quickly and simply and was popped in the mail straight away.  Tick.

Next it was time to pull out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  The colour this month is purple.  

First up, the Potato Chip Blocks.  They are always a simple, quick place to start and they went together well.  Tick.

Next, the crumb blocks.  I checked my list and I already had three made, so only one more to make.  I had fun working with the tiny pieces in my purple scrap tub.  I completed the block yesterday, but didn’t get to add the shadow.  Overnight, I suddenly had a thought…. don’t I only need three blocks?  Yep, only three needed.  Doh!  Oh well, that is one ready to go for whatever my next crumb block project will be.  I already have an additional five pink blocks, so there will be another project in the future.

Finally, to work on the solid crosses blocks this morning.  I do enjoy making these.  All was going well until I went to do the pressing of the final seams I had sewn.  That doesn’t look right.  Goodness me!  Not only had I mucked them up, it wasn’t the final seams, rather earlier ones in the block.  Time to get out the quick unpick.  

OK, let’s try again.  All good…….until I laid them out for the photo and noticed this!  I really don’t know where my brain was this morning.

After some more unpicking, third time lucky.  Phew!  That took longer than expected.  At least we got there in the end.

I will link up with So Scrappy on the weekend.

Only one more colour to go.  Regardless of what the nominated colour is, my colour is lime green, as that is what I prepped at the start of the year and will work well with my projects.

10 comments:

loulee said...

You made up some lost time there.

Lin said...

Your purple blocks are gorgeous - I love purple! xx

Jennifer said...

Sometimes a block just won't go right.....they have a mind of their own, you know.

Ma Betty said...

Don't you hate it when that happens. In our Bear's Paw blocks someone (not you) sent one back as a Bear's Paw and the other was a Fish. It will be easy to fix if needed.

Jenny said...

I like the potato chip blocks with the black and white centres, that would be a good block to "borrow" for a future a RSC

cityquilter grace said...

love the purple solids....

kiwikid said...

Great collection of blocks Janice, sometimes they just do not play nice! Hee hee reading Betty's comment I hope the fish was not me as I have done that before!!

Maria said...

Oh don’t you hate that. Not once but twice sewing the block the wrong way.
Looks good now.

Sue said...

That's so aggravating, but the Solid Cross blocks turned out really great! Love the Chips & crumbs, also.

Susie H said...

It's always amazing at what shows up when you lay a project out and notice the oops! Way to straighten it out. Enjoy the rest of the week. Tomorrow we should hear what the next color will be.