Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Aeroplane Quilt - In By the Skin of My Teeth

My Main Monthly Wish for September was to complete the little Aeroplane Quilt I pieced at Baradine.  I didn’t think that I would get it done, due to a very busy month, but we got there in the end.

This little quilt had its beginning when I purchased a cute pattern from the Sewing Basket stall for $1 at the Sydney Craft and Quilt Show at Darling Harbour in July.  

When it came to thinking about what to take to Baradine to work on in August this came to mind.  To actually make a pattern straight after buying it is quite a novel idea.  Anyway, I traced all the appliqué pieces onto Heat and Bond Lite at one of my patchwork days, cut them out at the next and then spend an entire day choosing fabrics, fusing and cutting out the appliqué shapes and cutting out the rest of the quilt.  It was all ready to go at Baradine.

Appliqué is a great mindless task to work on in a group and these shapes were generally nice and easy to stitch around, other than those small stars.  

The piecing of the top was completed while I was up there. 

I knew it would only take a day to get it quilted and bound, but yesterday was the first free day that I had.  

A simple loopy quilting design was all that was needed and suited the pattern.

It was lovely to be able to have the door open to the outside and see the crab apple in full bloom while working away.

Everything went nice and smoothly and we now have a very cute little quilt.

This quilt will be donated.  

QUILT INFORMATION

Measurements -55" high x 44" wide

Pattern - Sky Dreams by The Country Quilter.  This is a pattern from 2001.

Fabrics - Stash.  

Quilting Design - Loop Meander e2e by QCT6

Batting - Cotton/Poly

Backing and Binding - Left over wideback from Spotlight

Thread - Glide - Cool Mint

7 comments:

Jo said...

Great job to get it done by months end. Looks sweet

Lin said...

It's gorgeous and will make someone very happy. x

Maria said...

The quilting design is perfect for the wee Aeroplane quilt.
Great finish.

Jennifer said...

That is a fun quilt! I have some of the green wavy fabric used in the hearts, it's a useful print.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a sweet quilt and you have quilted it beautifully xx

loulee said...

Fantastic. Someone is going to be very happy to be the owner of that one.

Fiona said...

That's a fabulous quilt.... will be much loved by somebody....
Hugz