Monday 27 May 2024

Where’s Wally?

Let me tell you a story……

Last Friday (just over a week ago), I went for a walk while Mick was off practising his bowls.  While walking I had a silly little idea.  I think Mick considers it to be more like a brain snap.

When I returned home I did a little scrolling, and to my amazement, my silly little idea actually looked to be a possibility, so I ran it past Mick when he returned home.

My idea was to take a trip for his birthday, that was coming up shortly.

After a very short discussion, we decided to go with it.  That was at about 5pm.  By 7.30pm everything was booked and I was wondering what on earth I had done.

Saturday and Sunday were a whirlwind of packing and final organising.

On Monday morning we were up at 4am to get ready to head off………and it all nearly came to a screaming halt when the taxi we had booked didn’t turn up!!!!  Fortunately, one of our neighbours is a very early riser and at a moments notice was able to run us in to the train station.

So, we caught a train, then another train, then a plane, then another plane, then a train, then another train, then another train, and then walked and finally on Tuesday afternoon local time, 41 hours after we left home we arrived at our hotel.

We had a two night break and then had another little glitch in our travels.  The weather turned nasty and the ferry we were to catch in the late morning was cancelled.  Fortunately, we heard pretty much straight away and were able to reschedule for a sailing in the early evening.  We were supposed to collect a hire car upon arrival, but that would no longer be possible that day, as we were to arrive at about 10pm.  We booked a taxi and then the ferry was still rather late, with us only disembarking at about midnight.  Fortunately, the taxi was still available and we reached our final destination at about 12.30am on Friday.

Where are we?  We are once again on the Isle of Man, to watch the TT motorcycle races.  I still can’t quite believe that we are here, arriving less than a week after we first considered the trip.

18 comments:

loulee said...

I hope the weather remains fine and the races all go ahead.
I'm guessing Mick and Al had their birthday pint already.

Susan said...

Holy Guacamole! so much for all the detailed plans some people make...

LOu will be a tad jealous I think!

kiwikid said...

Well done you guys, have a fantastic time.

ButterZ said...

OMG. Wow great planning and achieving. Enjoy your holiday

Jennifer said...

How fabulous....have a wonderful time, and happy birthday to Mick!

Chookyblue...... said...

yep brain snap.........
have fun

Maria said...

Unplanned trips are often the best.
Have heaps of fun.

Jenny said...

What a time you had getting there. Enjoy you time away, and I'm presuming that this is a significant birthday for Mick?

Susan Smith said...

You are WHAT?.........can't believe this! Well, well, how long for?
Enjoy & ring me when you get home. Take care & hugs.

Ma Betty said...

Way to go! How wonderful! Enjoy.

cityquilter grace said...

ay caramba! spur of the moment success!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow! That's wonderful....good on you. That was always on my Hubby's bucket list....enjoy!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oops Happy birthday yo Mick x

Lianne makes stuff said...

Have a wonderful time

Ali Honey said...

What a great idea!!!

dq said...

How wonderfully exciting to do something so spontaneous! Good for you two!

Karen's Korner said...

Is your middle name "Just do it now". LOL. Have a fantastic time and look forward to reading about your adventures there.

jude's page said...

Have a wonderful time, sometimes those impulsive decisions turn out to be the best.