Sunday 30 April 2023

End of Month Stitching Round Up

This last month has passed in a whirl, but I do actually have some stitching to share.

I’ll start with my One Monthly Goal.
My goal was to complete the Moda Love quilt top, made with these lovely fabrics I’ve had for nearly ten years.  It is a lot brighter than my usual makes, but works so well with the design.
Despite having to cut short my time with the group at Scrub Stitching, I had all but the last narrow border completed.  Once Lou and Tony returned home it was time to get everything out and start stitching.  I’m really happy with how this has turned out.  The finished size is 76 inches square.  I had hoped to have it quilted and bound by now, but that didn’t end up happening.  That’s a story for another day.
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour for April was purple.  I had hoped to complete my blocks at Scrub Stitchin’, but that also happened when we returned home, just a couple of days ago, but better late than never, and I still snuck them into the current month.  I’m looking forward to playing with orange in May.
I shared my coat hanger that I made for the Scrub Stitchin’ swap.  I really enjoy making these EPP coat hanger covers every now and then.  Blue seems to be my go to colour.

Each year I try to enter some items in the local show, as they seem to get very few entries these days.  I had entered a “Machine pieced quilt, machine or hand quilted, all own work”.  That was going to be the Moda Love.  As I had already completed the entry form, I thought I had better quilt something.

My choice was my Churn Dash quilt.  My original plan was to wait until I was quite a bit more confident before I quilted this one, but needs must.
At 78 inches square, it was quite a jump from the cot quilts I had previously quilted.  I really like this free pantograph from Urban Elementz.  It is a nice scale and is detailed without being too flowery.
Anyway, after a full afternoon and evening of quilting it was time to spend a day sitting outside in the sun to stitch down the binding.
All done, and I made it to the showground on time.
I had to see how it looked on our bed.  I think the boys approve.  I must tell you about the boys one day.  They are rather special.
At last,  I finished my knitted scarf/shawl.  It could have been completed ages ago, but it was a nice project to pick up and just knit a couple of rows every now and then and was great to meet my 15 minutes a day challenge.
I was able to join in with a Zoom session of the Chookshed Stitchers yesterday afternoon.
While we chatted away I completed the final two of my Dresden fans for the Blue Quilt.  That is the 32 completed.  Now that all my EPP sections have been stitched it is time to work on my machine applique.
The final finish I have to share was actually completed back in early February, but as it was a gift for Lou, I had to keep it under wraps.  Lou has a delightful cat named “Belle”, who hops into a box any chance she gets.  When I saw this wall hanging pattern I knew I had to make it.  It is by far the most detailed foundation paper piecing project I have ever made and it was a lot of fun.

So, for a rather busy month, with very few goals, I do seem to have achieved quite a bit.
Now for my 15 minute a day stats, that have been ticking away in the background…..

15 minutes day/week = 5/7
15 minutes day/April = 23/30
15 minutes day/ 2023 = 109/120
Success rate = 90.83%

A bit down on what I would have liked, but there were days that were just too busy and social for stitching and days I just plain didn’t feel like it.

My go to projects for some quick stitching were my EPP for the Blue Quilt and my knitting.  Now that they are both completed I have to plan something else to easily pick up and be suitable to take to my stitching mornings, where I am only taking hand work.  Time to put the thinking hat on.

Pop over to the links to see what the other challenge participants are up to.  I do enjoy participating and appreciate the work the ladies do to keep them ticking over.



11 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

well done on getting your churn dash quilted and into the show.........
lovely to see you on zoom yesterday......
Im sure Lou loves the wall hanging......

Susan said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the variety and with all you got done. That Moda Love came out wonderful. It's on my list, but I have a few others to finish first. =) That is a nice pantograph you used on the churn dash, and it looks wonderful.

Raewyn said...

Well done on a productive month Janice. Your churn dash quilt turned out lovely - a decent size too. I love the cat hanging you made for Lou.

Linda in UK said...

What a great quilt! It looks perfect on your bed. The cat peeping out of the box is delightful.

Anne-Marie said...

Wow! I'm in awe. So many beautiful projects.

grammajudyb said...

The quilting on the churn dash quilt is wonderful. Like you said, soft and swirly but not too flowery! Love the blue setting triangles. And last but not least that kitty in the box is adorable! Makes me grin!

Fiona said...

Your Moda Love and Churn Dash quilts are great..... an excellent month
Hugz

loulee said...

You had a very good month. Lots was achieved. And Chooky is correct, I love my cat in a box.

cityquilter grace said...

oooh lovely finish janice....cute wall quilt for lou too! i had hoped to do the moda love quilt but alas unable to...

dq said...

Still love your Moda Love. How wonderful that I got to see it in person.

The cat in the box gift was fantastic as well.

Kate said...

A 90% success rate is very impressive. It takes dedication to work in even 15 minutes almost every day. Your churn dash quilt turned out beautifully. Your kitty in box finish is so cute. Congrats on all the progress this month.