Monday 20 March 2023

Last Week and On the Road Again

This is a short catch up on the last week’s stitching, as I shared my main projects in my last blog post.

Other than those projects, my crafting time has been spent on secret stitching and a bit of progress on my knitted scarf.  This last week has been incredibly busy, so just a little each day was all that I could achieve.
However, I still managed to keep up with my 15 minutes each day.

My tally is:
15 minutes day/week = 7/7
15 minutes day/March = 19/19
15 minutes day/2023 = 76/78
Success Rate = 97.44%

I’m linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces.
In non stitching happenings, we have been to lawn bowls twice.  
Sometimes we surprise ourselves with our brilliance fluke shots and at other times we are all over the shop.  At least we have a good laugh at ourselves on those occasions.

Thursday and Friday kept us busy, assisting with the set up of our local church fete.  Sadly, most of the parishioners are very elderly and not in good health, so a few of us get in and give a hand.  
The fete was on Saturday and was a resounding success.
I found one cute little item.  I would have loved this when I was a kid.

We did not help with the pack up of the fete, as we started on our latest trip with our caravan.  Getting ready to leave, also kept us busy this last week.

We weren’t sure how far we would get and ended up reaching Gunnedah.  We had initially intended to free camp, but our part of the state has been experiencing record high temperatures for March, reaching the high 30s C.  We amended our plans and stayed at a lovely little caravan park - with power for the air conditioner - and a pool.  Bliss.

We made a very early start yesterday morning to beat the heat.  The silly thing was that the further north we headed the cooler it got.  
What we also noticed was that from about Gunnedah, the landscape was so very much greener than at home.  Yes, there was lots of flooding in November in our area, but since then we have experienced very little rain, lots of strong winds and in the last couple of months. rather high temperatures, culminating in some pretty serious bushfires in the last couple of weeks.  The season is much milder in the northern half of the state.
We saw a few summer crops, mainly sorghum and cotton, as well as quite a few properties in the process of sowing this years wheat and other grain crops.  We wish them well.

Having left early, we aimed to reach Glen Innes for a late breakfast/early lunch.  There is a cafe that serves delicious fruit loaf and in recent years we have not been able to time things right to enjoy some.
I did enjoy my toast, while Mick enjoyed his smashed avo.

Further up the road, at Deepwater, we called into a little antique shop.  We found a couple of interesting things that I will share shortly, as they are in the ute and I am in the van.  One was really interesting.
I always love this falling down old railway bridge near Tenterfield and finally managed to get a decent shot of it as we drove past.
We crossed the Queensland Border in the early afternoon.
Before stretching our legs in a nice park at Warwick.
We called it quits for the day at a nice little caravan park in a rural area not too far south of Toowoomba. There are a few Model T Fords here, having participated in a rally over the weekend.  They are nice to see.

We will continue to head north today.

I won’t be doing the daily posts, like I did on our big trip last year, rather just the occasional update.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Enjoy your trip, and I'll enjoy reading about your travels. How long will you be on the road?

Karen's Korner said...

I remember my father putting 4 nails around a wooden Silko cotton reel for me to do my french knitting on and using a bobbin pin to pull the stitches over.....must be showing my age. Safe travels.

Fiona said...

Waving as you go by...... have a wonderful trip

Hugz

loulee said...

That fruit loaf looks delicious. Happy travels.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Janice how exciting for you and Mick to be on the road again ,safe travels 🌹🤍🌹

Maria said...

Looks like you're both hooked on lawn bowls. Fun outdoor sport.
How cute is the toadstool French knitting tool.
Great photo of the wonky bridge.
The toast looks delicious.
Safe travels.

jude's page said...

Love the wonky bridge photo. Look forward to pics of your travels. If you get taken with the bowls you won't have time for travel. Or will you just enjoy it occasionally?

Raewyn said...

Have a fabulous trip Janice! So, two (easy) days travel to get to Queensland? Oh my goodness the wonky bridge is incredible! Age or a terrible builder?!

Susan said...

It's been unseasonably hot in Qld - awful considering it's supposedly Autumn.
Have a great time!
I always enjoy your travelogs

kiwikid said...

Have a wonderful trip, great find with the knitter, love the bridge photo too.