Thursday 12 March 2020

On No! Not Another One!

We went out to the Oberon Swap Meet last weekend and had a stall.

Last year I bought a Bernina Record 830 for the princely sum of $5.00 - which I still haven't done anything with.  Oops!

Mick went for a walk, as you do, and didn't find anything interesting.  That is the idea, we are trying to get rid of stuff, not bring more home.

I went for a walk - just to get a coffee and egg and bacon roll for us - but found a stall with two sewing machines.  Of course I had a look.......They were both Singer 99Ks.  One was in pretty poor condition, but the other looked OK.

Yes, as you can guess, it came home with me.  I've kind of half heartedly been looking for one.  (Fortunately, I didn't find anything else of interest.)

The lady said she knows nothing about them.  She doesn't sew.  They were her father's.

 

The case is in pretty good nick, but the finish is weathered and the timber very dry.  The decal is in good condition.  This model has a metal handle.  The paint is a bit chipped, but I can live with that.  I'll just give her lots of furniture polish, as I don't want to damage the decal.

The key was there and the lock worked, so that was good.  However, when we got her home, I couldn't get it to open.  Finally, with lots of wiggling, we got there.


The fact that the key has been butchered may have something to do with it.  We have worked out that if we don't push the key all the way in, it will open. (I've put that down here for when I forget in the future.)

The knee lever is in its clip inside the case lid.  There are no attachments or bobbins, but I have a rather large tub of them, including buttonhole and zigzag attachments, so that is not a problem.  I have been able to download a manual, which will be helpful.


So, here she is in her "as found" condition.  Not too bad.  There is some wear on the decals at the front, but that means that she has been used.  She is a bit grimy, but I will have fun giving her a bit of a spa treatment.


The back.  It appears that the electrical cord has been replaced and it also looks to be a new belt.  There is no bulb in the light.


She is a 1956 model.  There were 50,000 made in her serial number range, so not exactly a rarity.


I should have a bit of fun playing with her, when I get a chance.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Looks like the Singer is a great find....you'll have fun clean her up and giving her a whirl...

Jenny said...

Another vintage machine to love how many does that make?

Cheryll said...

EnJoY playing with your new "friend"...xox

Raewyn said...

You are amounting quite a collection! Have fun with your new friends!

Raewyn said...

Whoops - I meant friend!

kiwikid said...

What a fantastic find Janice, looking forward to seeing he cleaned up.