Monday 22 October 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge for October

October saw the final colour revealed, being dark green.

Then, I had to wait patiently for the release of then last Squared Away Sampler block pattern to be released.  The block name is the "Dewey Dream Block" dating back to 1899.

I then knew what I would do on the wintry day while the Bathurst 1000 car race was on.


Ta da!  No originality with colours this time.  They did take longer than I had expected and I had to be careful matching up the points of the stitch and flip corners with the nine patch, but I 'm happy with the results.

Now, to finally have a look at all the blocks together by spreading them out on the floor.  

We had been told that the setting diagram would be released in November and that the idea was to have the blocks set on point.

Blow it!  after a bit of a fiddle I didn't mind the look of what I had.  The only thing was that I needed 32 blocks.  I had one extra that I had made along the way, so decided to add one more.  I also decided to add a different design, just to mix it up.  You know what?  There aren't a real lot of blocks based on five by five that are quick and easy.  This is what I eventually decided on.


A bit chunkier that the others, but it will be just fine.

I stitched the blocks into their rows on that Sunday and then on the Monday stitched the rows together.

Ta Da!


I decided not to have any sashings and just let the blocks play together.  It is much more colourful than I would normally make and makes me think of summer holidays.

To say that I'm happy to be at this stage is an understatement.  Now I need to deliver it to my quilting fairy and get it finished.

Thanks so much to  So Scrappy and The Academic Quilter for the inspiration.

6 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting your RSC18 quilt top together, already!! Nice choice of an extra block. Looking forward to seeing what your Quilting Fairy does with the Squared Away Sampler!!

Fiona said...

when I saw your green blocks they looked computer generated they are so well done with corners etc.... and then to see the finished top - its' really lovely and so good to see how all the blocks go together with the different colours…. well done - a lovely finish...

Hugz

Jenny said...

Haven't you done well!!!

Maria said...

All your blocks look fabulous together and modern quilts don.t have borders and I like that.

BB. said...

I love the background fabric you chose. I LOVE it! You did an awesome job. I like how people share their passion. I am very pleased that I can read your blog. Very helpful is this post.

CTNBEE

loulee said...

That's a great finish. You have every right to be pleased with it. :-)