Wednesday 30 September 2015

Nature’s Journey Stitch a Long for September

I made it!  The first time I have been able to keep up with a stitch-a-long all the way through. I'm loving seeing all the other versions.  So many girls have been able to meet the deadline, which is great.

September was the month in which our quilt tops were to come together.  Lots of 2 inch squares to cut – like 400 of the little beggars, as well as another row of pink.

At the beginning of the month I was very good, cutting some each day and then piecing them into two patches and nine patches.  My little fabric baskets came into their own.

September 2015 294

Then I seemed to stagnate. I think I was worried that they wouldn’t fit.  After reading the pattern and realising that I had to trim the quilt after the previous border was attached, everything came together nicely. 

It was fun working out the placement.  Joey was a great help.  He’s not usually allowed anywhere near a quilt that is being worked on, but it was a little hard to do anything about it when the quilt was on the floor.

Joey on quilt

Here we are with the first border attached.

September 2015 220

Next to trim down all the appliqué blocks.  Measure twice, cut once.  All good.  Here they are attached.  I was pleased that no two of the same blue background ended up next to each other.

September 2015 226

Finally, last night I attached the last two borders. So, in what seems to be my usual style, the month’s progress was completed with one day to spare.

September 2015 296

I’m really happy with how it has turned out.  It is much brighter than it thought it would be, as quite a few of the fabrics are fairly dark.

I’m also happy that then entire top is made from scraps and from my stash.  No fabric was bought.  Mind you, it doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference in my fabric piles.

Now I have to give my friendly quilter a call to arrange to have it quilted.  The end is nigh.

Thanks so much to Chooky and Susan.  As I’ve said before, there is no way I would tackle a quilt with this much work without the threat of the whip and the camaraderie of all the other girls working away with me.

And finally, I must mention Anni.  Aren’t her designs just awesome.  We are so lucky to have her in our midst.

15 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations on finishing on schedule, and using your stash, and on such a beautiful finish. It's such a lovely design, and all the variations are wonderful. So what's next?

loulee said...

Looks fantastic my friend.
My own sew a long Debbie is a bit stuck, I don't think I've done anything since July! I really should fix that.
Joey looks like a very efficient helper.

Jenny said...

It looks amazing Janis. I am still going... You have done a great job.

Kylie said...

Looks fantastic Janice! I'm enjoying seeing all the different variations. And well done just using fabric from your stash - I am very impressed!

Anthea said...

Hi Janice, wow I just popped in to see what you're working on & woo hoo, I like my timing!
Your NJ looks just wonderful, goodness there's so much work in it, & how clever of you to have used only from your Stash to make it.
Congrats!

Anthea said...

ps: i trust the mail got to you ok?

Anita said...

It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is so pretty, I really like her. To me, she looks springy. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on finishing the top. Gretchen

Deb R said...

Such a beautiful finish Janice!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janice,sorry i have been having computer problems,i just love your quilt,it has turned out so wonderful,well done my friend xx

Fiona said...

love your quilt....
Hugz

Jan said...

Hi Janice, I've just popped in to see what you've been up to after you commented on my post - thank you! Wow - your quilt - such a big effort and what a great result. It's been great seeing everyone's versions - all so different and lovely. And you're so right -Anni is a marvel and we're very lucky.

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's been wonderful seeing this beautiful quilt top grow. You've done so well to keep up with the sew along. You must be so pleased with how it looks.

Jodie said...

Gorgeous work as always Janice...

Jodie xx

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

This is just gorgeous Janice...you must be over the moon! Well Done!