This was my final completed project for July.
On our recent trip to Queensland my friend produced a quilt top from a cupboard and asked if I could do anything with it for her. Of course I could. We didn’t unfold it at the time, but I could see that it was a Christmas themed quilt with appliqué.
Last week I unpacked it to find a beautiful quilt top. The appliqué was completed with satin stitch that she worked on her domestic machine. It is so precise that I thought it must have been done using an embroidery machine. There is foundation paper piecing and mitred corners. When I asked if she had done it in a class her reply was that it was with “The Old Ducks” in a small town where they used to live. That was about 30 years ago. I'm guessing that the "Old Ducks" probably weren't all that old, as she was a young mum at the time. It was about time to get this quilt completed so that it could be displayed at Christmas.
I was given free rein to do what I thought best, as otherwise it would still be languishing in a cupboard.
The backing she had with it had a glitter type of effect added to it, so I didn’t really want to use that. Instead, I used a fabric that Mick had bought at a garage sale while I was at Baradine two years ago. There was plenty there.
The next thing to decide on was the pantograph. None of the ones that came with the machine appealed, so I bought one that is an elegant swirl with some holly. A Christmas vibe without being kitch. The thread is a matt gold, which worked really well.
Elly May did a lovely job.
I could have left the binding for her to complete, but thought it would be nice to return a completed quilt when we see them next. Mick took this very unflattering photo as I was hand stitching it down, while feeling under the weather with a head cold.
I’m pleased with how it turned out and hope my friend is happy with it.
QUILT INFORMATION
Measurements - 67” high x 51" wide
Pattern - Unknown - A Christmas Sampler
Quilting Design - Rhapsody E2E - Holly by My Creative Stitches
Batting - Bamboo/Cotton
Backing - Christmas fabric from a garage sale
Thread - Glide - Cleopatra

You have done a lovely job with the quilting. Nice lattern
ReplyDeletelovely finish and i enjoy seeing you in your happy place...LOL!
ReplyDeleteYour friend will be delighted with her finished Christmas quilt.
ReplyDeleteYour friend will be delighted with your work. How wonderful that you could get this 30 something UFO completed for her.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Christmas quilt ... lovely quilt design.
ReplyDeleteA lovely finish, your quilting design sets the applique off beautifully.
ReplyDeleteI am sure she will be thrilled - finished is so much better! and she has fabric to back another quilt . . lOL
ReplyDeleteBeautiful finish. xx
ReplyDelete'You did a great job Janis and you have allowed a flimsy to see the light of day.
ReplyDeleteGreat finish for your friend.... and in plenty of time for Christmas
ReplyDeleteHugz
Beautiful patterns and ideas.
ReplyDelete