Thursday 2 July 2020

My Goals For July

Wow!  We are into the second half of the year.  Where did that go?

Just when we thought Australia could return to some new sort of  "normal", we have to be extra vigilant again, with lots of new COVID-19 cases being found in Melbourne and several suburbs being locked down.  Fingers crossed that the spike can be contained before it gets too much worse and spreads to other states.  It would be a shame if things have to shut down again.


Now, onto more fun things.......

It's time for me to look at my little list and see what goals I want to set myself for July.

Firstly, my One Monthly Goal.


I've decided that my official goal will be to finish the Tea and Cake Table Runner that is my current WOOFA project.


I intend to finish the stitchery and turn it into a table runner featuring the little collection of fabrics we received in the workshop all those years ago. (You can read more about it here.) I have to design it first, though.  It should be quite achievable, if I put my mind to it.


As I said, my OMG is also my WOOFA project.


I hope that it will be my One Project a Month finish as well.......Three birds with one stone.  I like that idea.


The Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour this month is Dark Blue.  I will make my drunkard path and pineapple blocks.

The end of this month will see this project pass the half way mark.  There will be five blocks to complete this month.


I will continue with my little challenge with Lou to make something Christmassy this month.  There is a new Facebook stitchalong "Love and Hugs for Christmas", which started on 1 July.  There is a free 4 inch stitchery released each week for twelve weeks.  I'm not sure if I will join in or not, but I am downloading the patterns.  I may make something completely different.  I'll know at the end of the month.


My crochet didn't progress very far last month, so I want to get a wriggle on with it.  There isn't a great deal to do before it is finished.  This photo is from a month ago.  There has been some progress since then.

Now that Splendid Sampler 2 has reached the flimsy stage I've allowed myself a new long term project.  Trail Mix.  You can read more about how this came about here. Scroll right to the bottom.  At the time I said it would be good to make twelve blocks each month and I would use my Civil Wars stash.  Well, a girl is allowed to change her mind, isn't she.  I will use all sorts of scraps, but keeping the colours fairly rich, in keeping with the original.  I want this to be a quilt that lives on our bed in winter and looks warm and snuggly.


This is my progress so far.  I've pulled whatever fabrics that are big enough out of my little scrap bags and will then raid the stash.  Believe me, there are plenty to choose from.  I"m not sure if I will get twelve blocks completed this month, seeing as I have to sort fabric and cut etc, but I will make a start and see how I go.  As usual, I don't want to set myself up to fail.  If I make twelve I will be extremely happy.


Tomorrow night is Friday Night With Friends, so I will work on something along with everyone else.


Now that I am tired just reading about all I want to stitch I'll make my non stitching goals for the month.

1. READ A BOOK

I'll probably read another of the Maigret books, but who knows.  As long as I read a book.

2. TRY A NEW RECIPE

I plan to do this tomorrow.  I have a slice recipe that Mum gave me years ago, as she liked making it, but I've never actually got around to having a go myself.  The recipe is out ready to go.

3. GO FOR WALKS

We hope to continue walking.  I'd like to get out more than we have.  I have no one to blame but myself and the fact it is winter.  I need to get off my butt more.

4. GO FOR A MOTORCYCLE RIDE

Hopefully we will be able to join the Panorama Club on one of their outings again.

5. HAVE A WEEKEND AWAY IN THE CARAVAN

School holidays start this weekend, so we hope to take the van somewhere on the very last weekend of the month.  No idea where we will head, but there is no shortage of options.

6. HAVE A FRIDAY FUNDAY

This is a new goal that I've added.  We have been trying to make the most of the fact that we aren't at work on a Friday.  Thursdays seem to be the day we do whatever running around is needed and make appointments, which leaves Friday to enjoy, before the busyness of the weekend.  We have started to jot down ideas of things we can do and places to go, now that we actually have the time. 

I sometimes think that by setting these goals I'm making them a chore, but it hasn't worked out that way at all.  If I didn't have the goals I'm quite sure that a lot of these activities would not take place and we are really enjoying them all.

I'm looking forward to reporting in on how they are progressing.

9 comments:

ButterZ said...

Looks like you are well on your way with trail mix... good for you..

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Janice, nice list of goals there. It's good to have these things in mind, especially the sewing room ideas. Good luck with them and stay safe out there.

Jenny said...

It's good to have a plan, I especially like the idea of Funday Fridays!

Cheryll said...

Good luck with your goal list...and stitching tonight at FNwF should help too.
Yes that virus has reared it's ugly head once again... fingers crossed it will be contained quickly. Take care...xox

kiwikid said...

It is good to have goals, nothing like a deadline to keep you focused. I like the sound of Friday fun days too.

jude's page said...

Well done on setting those goals, perhaps I should try it? I would either achieve more, or feel bad cos I didn't cross enough off the list??

Karen's Korner said...

You have plenty of fabric to choose from for your Trail Mix. I am a list person myself and feel that achievement is made even if one item only is crossed off. Enjoy your free Fridays.

Barwitzki said...

What a nice list, I hope you enjoy working through it. Good luck and success. We have the most beautiful summer here with us and I spend a lot of time outdoors ... but I also sewed two pockets - one large and one small for the cell phone - and the knitting needles also want to be used :-)))
Greetings to you. Viola

Patty said...

Enjoy! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.